Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting tired of the tired c4. It's in bad condition and my car would really benifit from a manual and an overdrive(I wanna run a gear without hassle). I have been doing alot of c4 to t5 research the past month and I would like your advise on a few things.
My biggest worries were finding a clutch/brake package for my 72. But I think I have found one. The brake is from a power brake car, and I have manual drums. Would I have to swap pedals? Or would the power pedal work on a manual brake car?

I have been looking for a x-member and I havnt had much luck. My car is a 72 mind you. I dont have the skill to fabricate. Who produces them for a 72? Would a 65-70 work? Probably not.

Im going to use the t5 bellhousing and plate. Are any Shaft mod's gonna be nessesary?

last question. Im running a 351 c 2v. After Im done it might put out pretty good power, nothing more than 340 h, and 380 lb torque at most. I know all the torque ratings for all the tannys but I was wondering If I can get away with a 300 lb rated t5 aslong as I dont launch too hard?? It makes things worse that my car weighs alot. The reason I want to go to a t5 and not Tremec is because I could get t5's for about 150 bucks. I could never afford a tremec. Unless somebody knows a place that sells cheap used/rebuilt tremecs? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

btw. I have acces to linkage, z bar, and bushings etc at the JY. But Im worried about clearance( ps, long tubes headers) so Im gonna go with a cable clutch.

This isnt a pipe dream deal. I will do this soon. I think I could get it done for under 1k. Has anybody done this swap in a 71-73 ?? I could get all the info for the other stangs but not for my app. If I could talk to somebody who has done it that would make life alot easier. Thanks for the help , again. Josh.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Most of your questions I can't answer. The one I'll try for is the T-5 and 380 ft-lbs. While I have no doubts that a T-5 can be built for that kind of abuse, one that you pull out of a JY, especially a tired one, likely will not hold up long. A lot of it has to do with your rear end and tire combo. A lot of traction will actually put more stress on the transmission. So, fat tires and a posi will likely contribute to an even earlier failure of that tranny. Gears will also make things worse. What gears do, put simply, is trade RPM (wheel RPM/speed, not engine RPM) for torque. Go slower, get more torque.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
A T5 stands up fairly well in a 302 (5.0L) since the torque output is almost constant even tho horsepower can be anywhere from 180 to 400 or more. This fact allows the T5-Z's 330 torque rating to hold up pretty well.

Enter a 351w and you've got a different story on your hands. The torque jumps up to over 350 and so it exceeds the T5-Z's torque rating by a decent margin.

Yes, you can use a T5 behind your engine but you'll have to mind hard use. It won't make it if you don't. Also, there's a lot of junkyard T5's out there that aren't T5-X's or Z's. Be sure to read the charts on the web here and know what your $50 special is capable of.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been thinking about doing the swap myself, but have been putting it off until I can afford it. Anyway, I've done ALOT of searching. Not many 71 - 73 conversion parts out there, but I have found what you're looking for.

Clutch Cable
Crossmember Not sure if this is actually for 71 - 73, as it's listed as 67 - 73???

As far as the driveshaft, it most likely will require shortening, although being I haven't done the conversion myself I can't say for sure. Reading this page, it seems that the TREMEC bolt pattern is the same as a Toploader, so with the "Shorten input shaft mod" and using the Toploader bellhousing, you wouldn't have to shorten the driveshaft. I guess it depends where you want to spend the money.

Hope this helps.

Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in case you're still looking for the pedal setup checkout eHay #1847395316

1 - 5 of 5 Posts