Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Sports Roof
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mischievous is fitted with a T-5. I'm a bigger guy at 6-2. The seat were moved back 2". One of the things I have always disliked is how far I have to reach to shift. Almost can't reach if the harness is tight.

What are you using? Ideas?

Thanks

·
Dimples
4,872 Posts
I have what I thought was a decently long enough Hurst shifter handle and I'm about your same specs (6'3", seats moved back) and it's not as long as I would like. Wish I had the model number so I could point you in a certain direction, but yeah. I feel ya man.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Give Modern Driveline a call. Knowledgable guys, they have experience with the T5 in our cars, and they have several levers to choose from.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
I wanted the T5 handle that looks like a '65-'67 Mustang 4 speed shifter but I was not going to pay $150 for it so I bought this one for $75 a year ago. I see it's $98 now.
Like you I am 6'2" and I also moved my seat risers back. When I received the shift handle I sat in the car and held it where it was comfortable. I wound up cutting 2" out of the handle right above the attachment point and it also needed to lean towards me so I put a 2X4 under the threaded end and welded it back together. It fits me perfectly. I have a leather boot that covers the weld so nothing looks wonky.

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
I’m in the same boat. 6’2” too far to reach, I’m putting in one that previous owner included with the sale reaches back several inches further. Had to drill slightly bigger mounting holes to make it fit onto the shifter but seemed to work when I tried it out, just waiting on the shift knob - needed a different thread. Here’s a picture of it below...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I believe that shfter re-locator was made by Bramlett. I don't think they make it any longer. Always wondered if it worked.
It says restomod on it. Mustangs plus used to sell them. Someone on here said they may do another run of them. I dont know who actually made it. I kept my eye on ebay for a few weeks and bought it there. Works great.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Have a look at the Hurst 8022.
Yep, the 8022 is what you want, especially if you've moved the seat back 2". I found that in the rear most position, the 8022 works, but if anyone shorter than me (I'm 6ft) and move the seat forward, they wouldn't be able to use the shifter. I swapped out to a 4106 and it's a better fit for the stock seat position. I have the 8022 that I'll let go if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i'm 6 1 and use a hurst handle, no idea on the p/n, got it at a swap years ago. it's dog legged shaped. about perfect, i don't have to reach for the gears

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,218 Posts
I have a Hurst 8022 in my 69 Coupe coupled to a 1987 T-5 trans. I am 5' 10" & even though my Mustang is not running yet when I sit in the drivers seat I can reach the shifter without a problem & shift all the gears.

·
Registered
1969 Sports Roof
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It says restomod on it. Mustangs plus used to sell them. Someone on here said they may do another run of them. I dont know who actually made it. I kept my eye on ebay for a few weeks and bought it there. Works great.
This may sound goofy but, what was it called in the Ebay title?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
This is a lousy photo but you can see I used my toploader Hurst comp plus shift handle but cut it as low as I could get it vertically but still get the reach back. Admittedly, I relocated my motor and trans half an inch rearward to put the shifter in the stock location. I love this shifter, it screams old school but shifts tight like a tremec should. I hated rowing when I shift, I come from European sports cars with 4" shifters that are tight and quick. You get better feel for the synchros without all that leverage. I actually went another inch lower than what is shown last year.
e21 seats.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts