Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One other questions about my T10: Has anyone rebuilt one of these? Could you tell me something about what it takes and how difficult it was? Where can I find info about it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I've rebuilt a couple.... Very simple, much simplier than a toploader. Very similar to a Muncie.

An old Motor manual has directions to rebuild one, the tricky thing is to drive the roll pin out of the tailhousing that retains the reverse selector, pull the reverse selector out so the tailhousing can be removed.

You will need a "dummy shaft" for the cluster gear so the cluster can be dropped to the bottom of the case so the transmission can be disassembled/re-assembled. The dummy shaft is the same diameter as the cluster shaft, but shortened to the same length as the cluster gear.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The first time is a bitch. The 5th time is ok. The 20th time you wonder why it was so difficult the first time.
Art is difinitely correct about the reverse gear and pin in the tail shaft housing. Look at it close and understand what is going on. The roller bearings need a lot of heavy grease to hold them in place. Nothing can be done if you don't have snap ring pliers. The guy at UTE trans parts has a better type syncro than standard.

Practice makes perfect.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A dummy shaft? What do you make one out of and why?
I removed the rear housing without removing the pin for the reverse selector. It wouldn't budge at first, but I turned the selector when it was half way out and it slid right off. I was trying to get the pin out but it wouldn't move more than about a millimeter.

Also, where do you find the information on rebuilding it? Someone mentioned an old Motor manual, but what one and where can I find it? Also, is there any other sources of information?

Yes, lots of questions... I don't wanna do it if I don't have info first. But I do want to try... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Bryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts