Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m converting to an internal throw out bearing. I’ll have 2 braided lines leaving the transmission via the clutch fork opening.
For those of you that have done this conversion, how did you close the rectangular opening.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I think i would use the rubber boot that is meant to cover the fork. Its a good seal except for a small hole where the push rod rests. Run the hoses through that boot and out the end.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The T5 fork doesn't have a rubber boot, the old cable setup used a stamped metal cover, which I can't use for this application.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,409 Posts
Most newer T5's had the metal cover, the older ones were rubber. I seem to recall someone found the rubber ones on sale at Summit Racing.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I guessed you were using an old bell-housing so, I guess not then.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most newer T5's had the metal cover, the older ones were rubber. I seem to recall someone found the rubber ones on sale at Summit Racing.
Prior to posting I searched online and couldn't find a rubber boot for the T5 fork opening, just the metal covers. I suspect i'm going to have to make my own.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,488 Posts
Why not just cut a couple holes with the appropriate size hole saw for both of the lines & put rubber grommets in the holes to protect the lines.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Why not just cut a couple holes with the appropriate size hole saw for both of the lines & put rubber grommets in the holes to protect the lines.
This makes the most sense. If you have to replace or service the throwout bearing, you need to remove the tranmission anyway. This is what I'll be doing on my project.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,409 Posts
Indulging in a quick search on the subject, a third solution presents itself. Credit to 22GT.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indulging in a quick search on the subject, a third solution presents itself. Credit to 22GT.
Thanks. That cover would work, now I just have to find one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts