Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Are you talking about the bolts that hold the flywheel to the block, or the ones that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel? As far as I know, all 289/302/5.0 are 7/16-20 bolts to connect the flywheel to the block. If you're referring to the bolts that hold the pressure plate on, then yeah, those are metric since they're for the late model 10.5" clutch. But this flywheel should be able to bolted on your 289 with no modifications?

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
Every Ford I've ever dealt with used 7/16"-20 bolts to hold the flywheel to the crankshaft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Windsor crankshaft bolts were always inch and the pattern is the same between all of them as well. The flywheel in question uses metric pressure plate bolts and dowels.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It all should be compatible, as that is a 10.5" clutch. You will need the 7/16-20 bolts for the flywheel, and the dowels/metric bolts for the pressure plate, like these:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks. I must be installing something wrong. I’ll report back with an update, thanks all

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Don't drill them, I suspect it's also drilled to the metric pressure plate pattern. Check before you anything. Personally I'd buy the correct hardware. I don't think there's going to be enough meat to drill them to 1/4-20

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Hoopty Coupe
40 Posts
Man...There are so many T5 conversion threads about issues, it makes me dread doing it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The picture on Jegs shows bolt patterns for both a diaphragm and Long-style pressure plate. The Q&A section on Summit's product page has a Ford Racing rep saying that it has both.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Man...There are so many T5 conversion threads about issues, it makes me dread doing it.
I am just about done with my C4 to T5 in my 66 and I bought everything from MDL and fit up perfect down to the last bolt. Cost more, probably yes, but everything is new and easy. I did use the Mustang Steve clutch cable but it all fit great as well. I think most of the fitment issues are by piecing it together. Nothing wrong with that approach just more to figure out.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mine was easy.
I used the original bellhousing which required the Modern Driveline adapter plate.
I couldn't find my original transmission crossmember, so I bought one from Modern Driveline.
A slight modification on one of the passenger side trans mount tabs, and the mount was in.
A new driveshaft, and original clutch linkage went in with no problems.
I originally used a polyurethane transmission mount, but the noise and vibration was noticeable.
I switched to the original rubber mount, and it's smooth and quiet. now.
It's not a tough swap by any means, however I did make a mistake with the speedometer gear, which I fixed by double-checking my math and ordering the correct gear. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This flywheel from Jegs will not work......I will be ordering the one offered by MDL. A word of advice for anyone looking to do this swap....just buy the kit offered by them and save a ton of aggravation.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,687 Posts
I had my flywheel drilled to match the fox style pressure plate.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Mine was easy.
I used the original bellhousing which required the Modern Driveline adapter plate.
I couldn't find my original transmission crossmember, so I bought one from Modern Driveline.
A slight modification on one of the passenger side trans mount tabs, and the mount was in.
A new driveshaft, and original clutch linkage went in with no problems.
I originally used a polyurethane transmission mount, but the noise and vibration was noticeable.
I switched to the original rubber mount, and it's smooth and quiet. now.
It's not a tough swap by any means, however I did make a mistake with the speedometer gear, which I fixed by double-checking my math and ordering the correct gear. :)
I could have wrote this post, this was my exact experience with the swap. Very easy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the flywheel on. One problem out of the way. Now another....e3zr-6394-aa is the bellhousing I bought. It was made for a 83-85 gt and a 10” clutch. E6zr-6394-aa is supposedly the correct one I need. It was made for a 10.5“ clutch. I’ve read conflicting information. Some people say there’s no difference in size, some say there is. I’d like to try the different bell first before I purchase but I’m stuck for now. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I got the flywheel on. One problem out of the way. Now another....e3zr-6394-aa is the bellhousing I bought. It was made for a 83-85 gt and a 10” clutch. E6zr-6394-aa is supposedly the correct one I need. It was made for a 10.5“ clutch. I’ve read conflicting information. Some people say there’s no difference in size, some say there is. I’d like to try the different bell first before I purchase but I’m stuck for now. Any thoughts?
I believe the general consensus is that it's hit or miss, but it seems like it SHOULD work with a 10.5" clutch. Only way to tell would be to try and bolt it up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe the general consensus is that it's hit or miss, but it seems like it SHOULD work with a 10.5" clutch. Only way to tell would be to try and bolt it up.
I’m SOL then. It hits the flywheel. I’ve also read that the 1983 flywheels where smaller to accommodate the smaller clutch. Must be true. I thought about grinding the heck out of it but that’s probably not A smart idea haha. Maybe the early bells were made in a different foundry and were smaller? If anyone has an extra bell I’ll buy it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts