Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm really hoping someone can help with this problem I'm having. I'm doing a T5 Swap on my 1966 289 Mustang (originally had a 3spd).
I ordered the kit from CJPony Parts that had everything but the transmission (with late model bellhousing, custom driveshaft, ect) and got a Hurst T-5 from Jegs. 1352000251 Hurst Driveline 5-Speed T5 Transmission.
Today I went to install the yoke and driveshaft from the kit into the T5 and it will not go in more than 1.5" by hand.
I tapped it in some more with a hammer but once it got past about 1.75" in, the transmission started to lock up and I couldn't rotate the drive shaft. The transmission is in Neutral.
The spines in the yoke look fine and I didn't see any galling.
The spines in the trans shouldn't be twisted either, this is a new transmission from Hurst. I tried to look at the spines on the trans shaft but since its already mounted in the car its hard to see. I'm going to attach some pictures.
Even if the problem was twisted spines would that explain why the trans locked up when I forced the yoke in?
Please Help.
:frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had issues with a tight fitting yoke that would not slip on. A different yoke worked better but not as easy as expected.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
You may have damaged the tail shaft bushing trying to hammer that in .try your old 3 speed yolk and see if that goes on
I actually used a cut down 3 speed yolk on my swap instead of the kit supplied yolk

I've since been told it probably didn't need to be cut but felt safer having the same length as the supplied yolk

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Since that was a new transmission, it may have some packing around the output shaft. This is to keep crud out of the gear box. You will need to remove the packing.
If the transmission is locked up, you may have damaged it by beating on the yoke. If the output shaft doesn't rotate, you will need to take it to a transmission shop and hope they can fix it without putting too much of a dent in your wallet.

If the transmission is a new T5, it is made by TREMEC, I don't think Hurst actually makes a transmission, just shifters and stuff.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The outside diameter of the yoke is likely slightly to big to fit inside the bushing inside the transmission housing. Is that bronze color in the pic showing the end of the yoke? The yoke have to move freely in the transmission, so trying to it mount it with a hammer is a really really bad idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys.
I tried the old yoke and it went it perfectly. I completely forgot that it would fit in the T5.
I don't think I damaged anything. I'm doing all this work on jackstands and working on my back. I only used the hammer to try to tap it, not beat on it. Once it started to bind I immediately stopped.

Can the old yoke be used without cutting it down? That might be the quickest and easiest solution.
I still want to use the new driveshaft from CJ's. The old one is too long and I didn't want to bother getting it cut down.
I'll give CJ's a call Monday to see if I can send the yoke back for a refund or replacement. Otherwise It'll make a really expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, yes it is a TREMEC T5 built by Hurst Drivetrain Conversions.
If I can dig up my calipers I'll post the diameters of the old and new yokes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i measured them with my calipers.
The new yoke is only .005" larger, but I guess that's enough to bind on the bushing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
CJ's offered to replace the yoke but since it was so close I decided to try sanding it down.
I was able to take off about 0.002" and the new yoke slips in and rotates smoothly.
I used 320 and 500 grit sandpaper and took my time to keep it even.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts