Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm under the 'Stang last night filling the new T5 with Dextron III and its real crowded down there with Hookers and header pipes passing by the sides of the tranny. Took the little filler plug out and was filling the tranny using plastic quart bottles with a neoprene tube filler attached to the plastic bottle with the end tucked into the tranny. This seemed a good way to fill it but it required putting the tube into the hole then working the bottle along the header to get it above the height of the hole and turning on the valve all with one hand (my left and I'm right handed - shoulda raised the car higher!) Okay, I got flow but as the plastic quart bottle empties theres no air getting back into the bottle so it collapses. At the same time I'm fighting kinks in the neoprene tubing. Everything is going fine but I have to concentrate on what I'm doing to keep the fluid filling. Enter SWMBO with a comment, "I'm off to the video rental be back in a minute...whatcha doing?" I reply, "Uuh, Uuh, I'm trying to fill this transmission! damn!" Just then the tube whips out of the hole, and I get a face full of Dextron III-Mercon and of course I have my mouth open!" Fortunately I saw it coming and closed my eyes in time. I know there's a rag down here somewhere...grope, grope, grope....where the hell is it? I decide I'm not going to find it and I better get to the sink and wash my face. I groped along the sides of the car with hydraulic fluid all over me and finally find the sink. I wash my face thoroughly and next my mouth (yes, with dishwashing detergent). I don't know which tastes worse, the Dextron or the detergent. I got cleaned up and looked at everything and there's some spilled fluid but not much as I thought there'd be. I was lucky not to get it in my eyes, etc. I finished up the job, cleaned up the mess and decided to call it a day (10pm). Boy did a shower feel good!

·
Registered
19,979 Posts
Years ago, when I had my 85, LX , 5.0. I put Red line synthetic in. I took the shifter out and poured it in the top. I figuired it was the lesser of 2 evils.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I have found a funnel and 3 feet of 1/2" diameter tubing works well. Jack up the car on the passenger side, fish the tubing down from the engine compartment. Place a pan under the tranny to catch any overflow.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just use about 4 feet of hose and a funnel. thread the hose thru the motor bay to the trans. Pour untill it spill over a little. Quick and easy and only a little messy.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Go to your local NAPA store and get a 90wt pump, meant for gear oil.
Just stick it into your container and pump. ATF is much easier to pump than 90 wt, so this is a snap.
The pump comes with a hose.
When you are done with it you can also use it to top off the rear axle. (don't use ATF though :))

BossBill

·
Registered
912 Posts
I can top that one. I was working on an old pontiac I had several years ago. While working on the car I was enjoying a nice cold coca-cola. On the other side of the car I had another coca cola can half filled with tranny fluid for one reason or another...I can't remember exactly what I was working on. Needless to say before the day was over I forgot which can was which and gulped a mouthful of tranny fluid. Luckily I didn't swallow but I had the worst taste in my mouth for several days after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts