Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm Jerry and new to the forum, I have a 68 convertible that I'm restoring and was wonder if anyone has knowledge of installing a T5 to a 200 six and if any early 2000 V6 mustangs with the T5 would work? Thanks

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Hi Jerry. Welcome to VMF.

I don't have detailed knowledge about bolting a T5 to a inline-6. I did install an overdrive on my Mach 1. It was a lot of money and some effort to boot, but boy was it worth it!

Also, what I have learned is finding a good, solid used T5 is getting difficult. Sure, 20 years ago you could cruise most any salvage yard and pull a usable T5 from a Fox Mustang. These days, just about all those cars have been picked clean.

By all means, look around and see what you can find. Be aware it's very likely anything you do find will have over a quarter million miles on it. If you can rebuilt the trans yourself, cool. If not, you might was well buy a new trans.

There are many, many vendors selling overdrive transmissions and install "kits". When I was doing research for my overdrive install, I discovered many of the kits didn't include all the parts I needed and the parts they did include were kinda sketchy.

I went with Modern Driveline. Their prices will seem high at first, but consider their kits include absolutely everything you need to include fasteners. And believe me, after you've searched hardware stores all over the place for the right nuts and bolts, you'll appreciate those fasteners. Everything I got from MD bolted right in. (This was really nice after reading many complaints about ill-fitting cross members from other vendors.) Also, a very big part of going with Modern Driveline is their tech support. Those guys are very knowledgeable and will actually give you help when you need it. No, they are not perfect. Like any vendor, you can find criticism online. But overall, I think they are a very good choice.

With an overdrive install, you can choose between a factory Z-bar clutch linkage, a cable linkage or a hydraulic linkage. I went with a factory Z-bar on my car. I did install a roller kit on the Z-bar which works really well. I'm thinking it would be really easy to keep the Z-bar with an inline-6; clearance issues shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
You'll need a pre-94 T5 to make this work. The length of the transmission changed after that. The good news is such transmissions are findable.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
You'll need a pre-94 T5 to make this work. The length of the transmission changed after that. The good news is such transmissions are findable.
oddly only if you are getting a V8 T5. it seems the rest are the same length ass the 93 and earlier T5s.

OP here are a couple of links dealing with the T5 swap;

feel free to investigate the forums there as there are many T5 swap questions answered there.

·
Registered
35,959 Posts
IMHO, the best T-5 for a six is the 4-cylinder version with its 3.97:1 first gear and an 0.79 overdrive, which works really well with the stock 6-cylinder rear axle ratio...typically 2.83, 3.08 or 3.20. You'll need a bellhousing adapter and a pilot bearing compatible with the 4-cylinder T-5's input shaft OD and the crankshaft pilot hole ID which shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts