Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Of the T-5s I have worked on, the plug on the tranny actually for the reverse lights. The safety switch was on the clutch pedal.
Bruce

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ya i think he's talking about the reverse lights. I just used one off a donor car and spliced new wiring. Hasn't failed on me yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
2 plugs on the T5. The one on the side is the reverse lights.
One on top is the netural safety. Does not HAVE to be hooked up, but could be helpful.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If you have an old NS switch laying around, just chop off the wiring and make your own. That's what I did with my Tremec.

I hooked up the NS switch, just because it was there. I'm still having a hard time getting used to it, because I've never owned a manual transmission car that had a NS switch. It was always just push the clutch in and start.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I never bothered with the NS switch. I guess it might have been something I should have looked into, but with a NS switch, isnt it not possible to push start a car? I know with the newer Clutch saftey switches it makes it impossible without changing something doesnt it? I mean, If the car wont start with the clutch out, or with the car in gear, how would you push start?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The neutral safety switch prevents the starter from engaging by interupting the electrical connection to the solenoid. Since push starting does not use the starter to turn the motor over the switch is not a factor.
However if the NS switch is used for an ignition interupt
It may cause difficuty. This setup is not on any system that I know of. Car makers have been known to do odd stuff such as automatic seat belts, self locking doors, Check engine lights and other stupid things, I can imagine someone has done this.
Late model automatis have a cable that locks the ignition switch unless the shifter is in P or N.
Bruce

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i figured it may be a good idea for safety sake.But ive driven a newer Ford Ranger stick ,up till about three years ago, and best i recall it didnt have a NS switch....its hell gettin old .
Ive decided to use a shorted plug in the old wiring harness, as my anti-theft device, ill remove the plug when im not near the car.
at least it may slow someone down if they try a joy ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts