Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled the tranny with a pump and when it started running back out of the fill hole, I then sealed it with the plug. The cars been sitting a couple of weeks since I filled it and I noticed a small oil spot under the tranny and it looks like it is coming from the front of the transmission. Is there a seal on the input shaft that is leaking or should I have let the fluid settle to even with the bottom of the fill hole before sealing?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There is a seal that’s is pressed into bearing retainer for the input shaft and then silicone used to seal the retainer to case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
961 Posts
How much fluid did you add , or how low was the oil level before you added oil ? It may have been too low before for fluid to come out the input shaft. either way there is a seal on the bearing retainer. Cheap easy fix, just need to pull trans back out of the bell housing to change. Would be a good time to check things over, i have had to replace the bearing retainer on a few trans cuz the retainer have small wear grooves on it from the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was a rebuilt tranny going into a complete new drivetrain. Haven't started the engine yet. The fill was the first one. Input shaft and retainer are new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts