Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing my T5 today and when i went to fire it up, I noticed that the engine has a vibration. The ballancing on the engine is 28 oz. (289) i got a flywheel that is said to have a 28 oz counterballance What elese in the drivetrain is ballanced? the vibration is in neutral so i know its from the engine to the tranny. Thanks - Maximus

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Sounds like the flywheel regardless of the claim of the person who sold it to you.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
It sounds like the flywheel to me too but double check your clutch installation, it's possible the pressure plate isn't perfectly centered to the flywheel. I've also heard of cases where the clutch was out of balance.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Did you test fit the pilot bearing on the T-5 input shaft?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Also, one other important measurement most folks forget about and that is the bellhousing runout, ie, the concentricity of the opening of the bellhousing to the input bushing. Tremec wants .005. I had a toploader in mine and runout was .014. With offset dowels, I managed to get the runout to .006. I'm in the process of installing my T5 now so I haven't run mine yet but the T5 slipped in easily when installed.

To check, mount the bellhousing on the engine, without the clutch, and place a dial indicator in such a way to have its plunger ride around the opening of the bellhousing. A dial indicator with a good magnetic base stand planted on the flywheel will do the trick. Rotate the engine 90 degrees, 180 degrees, 270 degrees and back to starting point, all the while having someone watch the dial indicator. A perfect reading is having the dial indicator never move.

If no other fixes solve your problem, you may have to do this procedure. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If the engine had no vibrations before the swap, then I would have the new flywheel "match balanced" to the old one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts