Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 89 T5 from a Gt.The question is I removed all of the bolts(before I purchased manual).This was a big mistake,Know I can't remove the shifter shaft to allow me to get the cover or to seperate the cases,I read that I was supposed to have this in neutral @3-4 position.Would anyone have ideas on how to seperate.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
There is a drive pin in the shifter (under where the shifter bolts on with 4 bolts ) . It must be driven through and then the L shaped shifter bracket will slide off the back of the shift linkage rod as you pull the case rear off .
Once the rear (tail) housing is slipped off , the upper plate (shifter fork assembly) will come straigh up off the top .
There is no way to get the T-5 apart without the removal of the pin in the shifter .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,on removing the pin is there a certain size punch i would need. and how small is the pin,the reason i ask is i can't see the pin looking into the shaft,If that makes sense.Again,Thanks

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Id say it's maybe 1/8 inch in diameter . Alot of times the hole is filled with RTV , ATF , or something else that hides it . The hole where the pin is location is in the square(flat sided) L shaped bracket that the shifter peg drops into (from the shifter handle) .
Id use a pin-punch that fits into the hole to drive it out . A pointed punch will likely not do too well in driving the pin out as it will force the pin into the wall of the L bracket .
Once you find the pin and get it out , the tranny will fall apart for you :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts