Vintage Mustang Forums banner

T5 Risk it or rebuild it?

4K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Gimmea250swb 
#1 ·
I bought a T5 and besides what they guy told me (works well according to the guy he bought it from) I know nothing about it. What would you do? Replace the seal, crack it and inspect it, just toss it in and see what happens? What's your vote?

In reality, what would you do to get this thing going?

#2 ·
Replace the easy seals and stuff it in. If it ends up being a terd, you can have it back out in less than an hour, right? It's actually simple to pop the cover and look inside, so that being said- why not. I rolled the dice on mine- pulled it out of the '93 Cobra, brake cleaned it, and shoehorned it into my car. Running great so far...

#4 ·
I took my V6 T5 from a wrecked '98, replaced the input shaft, looked at the input bearings, didn't worry about the shims, installed with fresh fluid and and have abused it as much as ~200hp can dish out. After I upgrade the engine I'll start collecting upgrade parts for the inevitable but absent clutch dumps with sticky tires or hanging from the shifter I say they are pretty tough.

#5 ·
I think they get a bad rap- as I mentioned, mine’s the desirable ‘93 Cobra version mated to a 408 stroker, and 4:11 gears in a Currie 9. I flog the dogsh!t out of it every time I drive it, because why not, right? It’s still in 1 piece and holding up fine...

#7 ·
I bought a T5 and besides what they guy told me (works well according to the guy he bought it from) I know nothing about it. What would you do? Replace the seal, crack it and inspect it, just toss it in and see what happens? What's your vote?

In reality, what would you do to get this thing going?
Throw it in and run it, unless you have the knowledge to open it up and replace the seals. These trans. had the crap pounded out of them in the Fox body's and held up well back then. Usually took third gear syncro because of missed shifts.

#10 ·
I'd be very tempted to just try it. The hard part is getting one fitted in there. Sorting out the clutch, the shifter, crossmember, etc. Once it's all in there if you need to take it back out it's pretty straight forward. Shifter, driveshaft, speedo, crossmember, four bolts and it's out. At 75 pounds I've even swapped the one in my '67 without bothering to use a transmission jack. I can't quite bench press one back in these days but I have.

#11 ·
Okay, thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to crack it open to see what I’ve got inside. I spun the gears to check them all out. I found two things that may be questionable and hope you pros can guide me more.

the first one - red arrow points to what appears to be a factory defect. It doesn’t look like it was cracked or chipped in my opinion. Do you agree?

Now, the green one looks like it’s chewed compared to the similar red one.

what’s the consensus?

Auto part Gear Differential Machine Engine

Auto part Gear Cylinder Metal

Auto part Gear Metal Machine Steel

#16 ·
Okay, thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to crack it open to see what I’ve got inside. I spun the gears to check them all out. I found two things that may be questionable and hope you pros can guide me more.

the first one - red arrow points to what appears to be a factory defect. It doesn’t look like it was cracked or chipped in my opinion. Do you agree?

Now, the green one looks like it’s chewed compared to the similar red one.

what’s the consensus?

View attachment 755272

View attachment 755270
View attachment 755271
LOOKS Like you need a couple of syncro's and gear. How are the other syncro's?

#12 ·
Without slicks, the weakest link will be the tires, they’ll break first.

#14 ·
off the top of my head it looks like it would grind the 1-2 shift and really grind the 2-1 shifts. Or maybe the other way around. I'd say rebuild it. You can buy a basic kit online and the manual from Tremec is free. There are also other resources to help with a DIY rebuild too. Mainly what you are after is new blocking rings. Though the chip off a reverse gear tooth looks unfortunate I can't imagine it being a problem at all. But if it would give you more peace of mind you can replace it.

#17 ·
If you’re looking to do a rebuild its possible. Also to note, Bob Hanlon is very well known amongst the Mustang 5.0 community for T5 knowledge, parts and customer service. His prices on rebuild parts or kits is fair too.

Check out the gear clusters and synchro images from his site compared to your internals - that T5 you have has seen better days for sure...

Here‘s a complete T5 rebuild How To from Mustang360:

Reactions: Gimmea250swb
#19 ·
If you’re looking to do a rebuild its possible. Also to note, Bob Hanlon is very well known amongst the Mustang 5.0 community for T5 knowledge, parts and customer service. His prices on rebuild parts or kits is fair too.

Check out the gear clusters and synchro images from his site compared to your internals - that T5 you have has seen better days for sure...
Thanks, do you have a suggestion on which rebuild kit? It looks like there are multiple levels (rebuild/refresh). The 2nd gear is 2.5x as expensive as other sites. I wonder why.

#18 ·
Time for a rebuild. The chipped reverse gear is fine, they're straight cut gears, aka noisy in perfect condition. I had one in an 83, about 20 years ago. 5th was shot and it made bad noises in 3rd. I took it apart, and carried my broken pieces in a box into Lester gear, in Tulsa OK. He glanced in the box and asked "ford or chevy" I told him ford. He went in the back and brought out everything plus some other things he said I would need. At the time it was the type of place with just a single walk way up to the counter. You were surrounded by transmissions, trans parts and axle parts of every imaginable configuration. This was before the internet became the great source of information it is. I called him a couple times for questions, but that trans worked flawlessly for years and took a POUNDING and it was the non wc, first year release version.

Reactions: Gimmea250swb
#20 ·
There are also online videos that walk you through it. Better to do it now before you install it. Plus if you get another used one it may be in the same shape. At least if you rebuild it you know what you have.

Reactions: GT_SCODE and Israel
#22 ·
First you have to determine which T5 you actually have... There’s a standard T5 and a World Class T5 (WC T5). There’s also the T5’s that were used in the Mustang SVO’s (other 2.3’s) and Ford’s Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Being in the Fox Body scene for over 20 years now, you have to be careful what you’re buying - because some folks like to pawn off a 2.3 T5 as being one from a 5.0 and claiming it to be a WCT5.

To determine if you have a WC T5 or not, look at the front of the case where the output shaft is that the throw out bearing restrainer rides on. Near it, you need to look at the main bearing race that is pressed into the front of the case.

Non-WC will have or use a Torrenton bearing. Non-WC T5’s use gear oil.

A WC T5 will always have and use a Timkin LM67010 bearing that depending on age and production era, appears in 2 different colors. From what I recall, the WC T5 race will have “Timken” stamped into the outer edge. WC T5’s will use ATF fluid, not gear oil!

These sites are very helpful:

#25 ·
First you have to determine which T5 you actually have...
thanks! I think I have a WC T5
Timken races shown.
93 year
Tag
And 68 countershaft. - note the shavings on the magnet.

Attachments

#24 ·
I usually get my parts from Transtar or Midwest Transmission Center but if you're bargain shopping there are always some kits on eBay at significantly better prices. I'd personally be after basically the blocking ring and "freshening up" type kit.

#26 ·
I would also recommend buying the billet steel counter shaft bearing retainer.
T5 5 Speed - Parts - Gears - Transmissions

If you find a cheaper one out there, don't forget you need to also purchase the shim kit.

I also purchased a steel input shaft bearing retainer and shim kit for mine.

#29 ·
On street experience says ATF works fine in NWC's, But I don't want to be the one someone points their finger at when their T5 fails and they say "HE told me is was OK to run ATF in it!". In many ways T5's are a bit delicate and people have a tendency to want to blame others, so....

But MY NWC T5 currently residing in my '67 has Trick Shift ATF in it. Same as I would have in if/when it gets a WC in it.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.