Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a T5 to replace my AODE. A local yard had 2 listed today from early 2000 V6 Mustangs.
In the past I would wait until the weekend to go to the yard and more often than not the T5's would be gone.
So today despite the rain I headed out. Both cars had about 130K on their odometers, one T5 was dirty, appeared to be original and untouched. The 2nd was painted with that typical re-builder silver paint and was much cleaner than the first. I went with the 2nd in the hope that it was not worn out.

The inside of the case is pretty clean, very little metal on the magnet. I pulled the input shaft and found it was manufactured in May of 2014. So I have no doubt is was rebuilt sometime after 5/2014. It appears the syncros were replaced. The cluster gear end play is good. Overall the gears look good. The bearings look good and the main shaft spun smoothly. The only real wear I see is on the reverse idler.

I'm replacing the V6 input shaft with the shorter V8 Shaft and swapping to a mechanical speedo tail shaft housing.

So do I just run it as is or do a minimal bearing/seal rebuild or do the complete master rebuild?
sync - Copy.jpg
bearing - Copy.jpg
case1 - Copy.jpg
case2 - Copy.jpg
input - Copy.jpg
main2 - Copy.jpg
I'm leaning toward just doing the bearings.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If it was rebuilt not to long ago I would run it first and see how things are. If it makes you feel better replace the seals and bearings. If the synchros look good why replace them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just order the input shaft, reverse idler gear and bearing/seal kit. Transmission and these part were only $300.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought a used T5 from a 95 v6 and ran it as is. I have put several thousand miles on the car and transmission without issue. I think if it appears rebuilt with minimal wear replace the shaft etc..and you are good to go.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Where is everyone getting their T5 parts/rebuild kits? I have one out of a 95 I need to rebuilt and swap in a Fox input shaft

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just purchased from an ebay storefront Transmission Parts Warehouse. Bearings are made by Koyo, Input shaft and reverse idler are aftermarket, will see in a few days how they look.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Where is everyone getting their T5 parts/rebuild kits? I have one out of a 95 I need to rebuilt and swap in a Fox input shaft
As @Huskinhano mentioned Hanlon is a great source. Also if you have questions or look for specific parts. But they are more pricy.
Here my experience with other dealers:
Home - Astro Performance Warehouse has the best prices, but good luck if you have questions.
The Gear Box is your online source for t56 transmission parts,t5 transmission parts,borg warner t56,muncie transmission,t10 transmission,super t10 transmission,3550 transmission parts,manual transmission parts,t56 transmission overhaul kit, t56 transmission rebuild,rebuilding a transmission, 6060, t56 synchronizer assembly,t56 transmission gears,Corvette T56 transmission,Tremec T5 transmission,Tremec T56 transmission,T56 main shaft,Spicer yokes,GM clutch is in between Hanlon and Astro.
Transmission Parts - Home | Cobra Transmission is another option with good customer response.
5Speeds Transmission Home Page is the website from Paul Cangialosi. Unfortunately I never received any response of my emails... not sure if they are still in business or not.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
As @Huskinhano mentioned Hanlon is a great source. Also if you have questions or look for specific parts. But they are more pricy.
Here my experience with other dealers:
Home - Astro Performance Warehouse has the best prices, but good luck if you have questions.
The Gear Box is your online source for t56 transmission parts,t5 transmission parts,borg warner t56,muncie transmission,t10 transmission,super t10 transmission,3550 transmission parts,manual transmission parts,t56 transmission overhaul kit, t56 transmission rebuild,rebuilding a transmission, 6060, t56 synchronizer assembly,t56 transmission gears,Corvette T56 transmission,Tremec T5 transmission,Tremec T56 transmission,T56 main shaft,Spicer yokes,GM clutch is in between Hanlon and Astro.
Transmission Parts - Home | Cobra Transmission is another option with good customer response.
5Speeds Transmission Home Page is the website from Paul Cangialosi. Unfortunately I never received any response of my emails... not sure if they are still in business or not.

Hope this helps
Thanks I have tried to contact Paul several times as well with no response. Their page lists the rebuild kit as out of stack and has been that way for months. I also wonder whether they are still in business. Seems odd they wouldn’t be. His videos and book are great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts