Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping someone has some ideas/experience with this issue. I have 67 with a 302 and T5 transmission (I believe world class), and just recently when driving, the stick shift slips into nuetral if I’m coasting (I.e. not giving any gas) or if the clutch is engaged (like in the parking lot shifting from reverse to first) before I start to let the clutch out it will slip into nuetral. It seems it only happens in first and third (haven’t noticed it in fifth gear yet), but it seems because those are the “up” gears, they want to slip down into nuetral.

I know very little about trannys, but are there springs or something that are worn that may be causing this? Other than this issue, the transmission functions perfect ( no grinding; slipping, or hard to shift issues). I now just have to hold my hand on the shifter more than I should/want. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have had my T5 slipping out of 5rd after some driving, it was the shifter boot pushing on the stick because the shifter are not centered in the hole in the floor. Moved the boot slightly and my problem was gone. If you have a aftermarket shifter with adjustable travel stops you might check those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m hoping someone has some ideas/experience with this issue. I have 67 with a 302 and T5 transmission (I believe world class), and just recently when driving, the stick shift slips into nuetral if I’m coasting (I.e. not giving any gas) or if the clutch is engaged (like in the parking lot shifting from reverse to first) before I start to let the clutch out it will slip into nuetral. It seems it only happens in first and third (haven’t noticed it in fifth gear yet), but it seems because those are the “up” gears, they want to slip down into nuetral.

I know very little about trannys, but are there springs or something that are worn that may be causing this? Other than this issue, the transmission functions perfect ( no grinding; slipping, or hard to shift issues). I now just have to hold my hand on the shifter more than I should/want. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
If it doesn't grind or hard to go into gear, then shifter boot like others said

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's nice if it's something as minor as the boot. Otherwise dropping out of gear usually means worn parts inside the transmission.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Mine was doing that last summer. You need to adjust the front stop bolt on the shifter housing. Mine didn't have nuts on them to help keep them in place... They do now. Same thread size as the nuts that go on top of the carb studs. I used the carb nuts. Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
As said above you need to check your shifter. Aftermarket shifter have stops to prevent you from bending the shifter forks on hard shifts. They often vibrate loose and back out prevent8ng full shifter engagement. You need to readjust then use a bit of locktite to keep them in place. If you have a stock shifter without t(enstops, look at the shifter boot or anything else that prevents the shifter from fully engaging.

Worst case the sliders and synchros are worn out or the shift fork is bent. Any of these would indicate time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like always, the amount of knowledgeable people on this site amazes me. I recently installed a new boot on the shifter so i’m guessing that’s the problem. I appreciate everyone’s input, if the boot is not the issue, I’ll try the other recommendations and then report back if the problem is not corrected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts