Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other than the stops, what is diff between them.
ive got the new t5z and it came with a short throw? new shifter.
im not really impressed with it, ive gotta search for 3rd at times, i expected a littel more than my old 4 speed linkage had from 30 years ago. altho it hasnt gotten stuck in two gears like my old worn unit did, thats about all i can say good about it so far.
What can i expect to get for my $189 that i dont have now with the stock shifter other than the stops?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Shifters for T-5's are not that much of a mechanical device as compared an old Top Loader shifter. The mechanical improvement of the aftermarket is not as great as say an old Ford shifter vs. Hurst Competition Plus. The main advantage of the aftermarket shifter is the stops. Spirited shifting with the stock shifter will lead to bent or broken shift forks within the tranny. The aftermarket shifters have a much stiffer housing that the stamped sheetmetal shock units. Certainly more precise. Check out the reviews on www.stangnet.com. A couple years ago I got my Pro5.0 for about $160 and have been very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
The stops are the big plus. The forks in the T5 are the weak link. The stops keep the forks from getting bent.

The other advantage is that the aftermarket units are both stiffer/more precise and offer a shorter throw. The shorter throw is achieved by using a longer tail on the shifter, which in turn requires a taller collar.

The taller/bigger collar used on the aftermarket shifters typically also requires some additional metal be removed from the tunnel. Not much, but more.

I really like my Pro 5.0 shifter.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I heard good things abour MGW shifters on other sites. I don't know if anyone's tried one here yet though

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Most aftermarket shifters are spring loaded to the right so you won't have problems on the 2-3 shift. My Hurst even came with different springs to change the feel because, as a result of an easier 2-3 shift, you have to overcome the spring to get into first. I went with the aftermarket unit mainly for the stops.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The aftermarket ones are more precise and they don't have the rubber isolator between the shifter and the stick so don't feel so "mushy". I installed a Steeda Tri-Ax in my 68 and found the 2nd to 3rd shift to be much improved. I used to have to hunt for 3rd but now I just push the stick forward with the palm of my hand and it finds it for me...

68Restoman

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
The aftermarket ones are more precise and they don't have the rubber isolator between the shifter and the stick so don't feel so "mushy". I installed a Steeda Tri-Ax in my 68 and found the 2nd to 3rd shift to be much improved. I used to have to hunt for 3rd but now I just push the stick forward with the palm of my hand and it finds it for me...
68Restoman
I second the Tri-Ax. I put one in my 01 and love it!
Stan

·
Registered
858 Posts
I agree on the Pro 5.0 shifter. That was one of the first mods I did to my '92 GT (because I kept going through T-5's in an '89 GT I had... The stops helped the blowing up transmissions problem, (I'm still on my first tranny with 65,000 miles on it!), and the feel of it when shifting is awesome. Anyone who has checked out my shifter has gone out and bought one. I HIGHLY recommend it.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I heard good things abour MGW shifters on other sites. I don't know if anyone's tried one here yet though
I installed the MGW shifter in my '03 Mach 1.

At the time it was the shortest 1-2 throw available. The quality and workmanship were outstanding. Shifting was precise and very solid.

Lots of guys were throwing the Pro 5.0 and the Tri-Ax under the bus and going MGW at the time.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
The Pro 5.0 uses the same bolt pattern that the Hurst Competition Plus does. The angle of the dangle may be a problem though, since the location on the old trans was to the left and the new is center.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I found it better to mount my Hurst handle on the opposite side of the Pro5.0 shifter. I had to forego the advantage of the knurled side of the handle, but I just made the bolts extra tight. I also had some shoulder bolts laying around that fit perfect. IIRC, the Hurst handle has larger holes than the shifter. It was odd that I had the right bolts laying around, but they are available from www.mcmaster.com. I just noticed today that if you don't care about the shift pattern on the ball, McMaster also has balls (knobs) for about $9 instead of $35 for the Hurst jobs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts