Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a T5 out of a 97, V6 Mustang. Don't worry, it has a 265# rating and will be fine fo my driving style. BTW, theyhave the same torque rating as 85 to 89 5.0 Mustang T5's and my brother's has lived up to 400+ hp! And still going.

Anyway during an earlier post, RTM has stated he's using a '94 T5 in his Mustang. These T5's are about .700" longer then the earlier ones.

My question for those of you who've done the swap, is there room in the tunnel opening for the shifter to go back about 3/4" without looking like a hack job? This way I could use a 94-95 5.0 bellhousing and save the cost of buying a new input shaft.

Yes, I realize that I may have to shorten the driveshaft. This is something I'll have to wiegh.

Why did I buy a V6 T5...it was cheap! And not beaten to death! ::

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I've got a 93 T5 bolted to a 93 bell, bolted to a 66 289, using a Hurst short throw shifter, all installed in a 66FB.

The only trimming I need to do was about 1/8" to the forwarded edge of the trany hole in order to fit the Hurst shifter. If I had kept the stock one, I would NOT have had to trim at all. In my case, there's plenty of room to move farther back.

Ken

FYI, I also had to shorten my DS with this set-up

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I thought the 84/95's used a different input shaft / bellhousing ... might even be up to 98 .
You have to use the 94 bell I think but it's not set up for linkage ,bleh bleh . I think those years have to use the different bellhousing ... Ill look around a bi9t if someone else does not reply .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm using the bell housing and T5 from an 85 GT in my 66 f/b and the fit was fine. I used the input shaft of the 85 drive shaft and the rest of the drive shaft was from the 66. Even the U joints are the same. Well worth the time and effort. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I used an 89 GT T-5 and bell. I think with a stock 8 in rear you could get away with the stock drive shaft. I swapped in a 9 and hat to take 3 in off the driveshaft. The shifter popped into place nice for me, no cutting. I can't wait to drive her. I've been working on this 66 for almost a year now. I still have the toploader that CAM65FB sold me 2 years ago in my other 66. The 4 speed will always be my favorite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts