Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several posts in my search that discuss the ford T5 tail housing being swapped for the S10 tail housing and used in trucks. It appears the Nissan and the Camaro T5 have the shifter located further back than the ford mustang location. I know I will need the top plate with the shifting rod to make the swap work. The only issue I can see from looking at pictures is the speedometer cable location looks different between the two tail housings.

I know the T5 shifter in the 65/66 mustang sits forward of the stock 65/66 location and I'm thinking this could be a cure for that without cutting the shifter hole and or special shifters. I did have the first relocated T5 shifter from Mustang Plus many years ago in my old fastback.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But wont the different tailshaft put it out the backside of the hole ?
No the camaro housing shifter is only about an inch back of the mustang shifter location. The pictures I saw while searching of the Nissan T5 housing was back flush with where the rear seal is. So in theory it should put the shifter in the correct 65/66 mustang location.

·
Administrator
19,327 Posts
Seriously too far back. I've used a stock lower shifter and a Hurst lower in '67 without ANY clearance. It only touched the front of my stock opening when I swapped in a Pro 5.0 lower. The Camaro location is like over two inches further rearward, putting everything almost completely out of the hole.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I am totally confused. My T5z shifter location was perfect for my 66. The Pro 5.0 collar is a bit big and I link I did minor clearancing, but nothing that would prevent going back to a stock automatic if so desired.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you are worried that it will sit too close to the dash side of the opening, you could always use a T5 from a 94-95 Mustang(v6 or v8) or a T5 from a 96-04 Mustang(v6). The input shaft is approx 11/16" longer than the pre 94 T5's. This will center the shifter in the opening.

Note: You will require the deeper Bell Housing(ideally the 94-95). I believe to use the 96-04 v6 bell, you have to find a 164t v8 flywheel and use an 11 inch clutch and the v6 starter(I may be incorrect here, others may need to chime in). If you want to run a factory speedo cable, you will require a 94-98 tail housing as it has the machined recess for the reverse synchronizer if using a 99-04 T5. You will also need to machine the output shaft to accept the clip for the speedo Drive Gear if using a 99-04 T5.

I am using a pre-94 input shaft and Bell and did not require any trimming at all on my 68.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dont forget that the Camaro T5 is installed at an angle, if you put the tail housing on a straight up trans the mount will be angled so you will need a custom trans crossmember to account for the angle and the gm mount. They also take a different shifter but you can use the mustang shifter if you redrill the two front holes.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not realize the camaro was that much further back. I was just looking a pictures and was thinking outside the box. I will be making my own cross member anyways so that would not have been a factor but its a very good point for anyone ever needing to do such a swap. I had the 95 model T5 in my old 65 fastback. As for buying one, it's not an option. I am buying a pro motion g force built T5 this Saturday. It's used but its a deal I can not pass up on. If its still there by Saturday when I can go pick it up. Again I was just thinking outside of the box and it sounded like a good idea. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts