Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have both the T5 XMSN and the 351W (and of course the 67), I am looking for a 'cheaper' alternative of joining the 2 together than this:

T5 TRANSMISSION CONVERSION KIT SUPREME 289/302/351W 1967 | CJ Pony Parts

I really like this kit because it provides everything and I personally HATE it when im in the zone, installing something only to realize im missing a key part of the build... what im going to do is list everything out that comes with the kit, in hopes that some of you will know where i can find each part cheaper, from an alternate vehicle, etc... thanks!

this list was copied from the link, are all the parts below that say "T5" the stock parts from a T5 and are expected to mount directly to the 351 or 67 Mustang?

-New Ford T5 bellhousing
-Late model clutch fork
-Separator plate
-Clutch fork cover for bellhousing
-Billet steel flywheel (28oz. balance)
-10.5? CJPP King Cobra Clutch Kit (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing & alignment tool)
-ARP flywheel bolts
-Pressure plate bolts and alignment dowels
-Cable clutch conversion kit
-Transmission mount
-T5 transmission crossmember
-T5 transmission to bellhousing bolts
-T5 conversion driveshaft with u-joints
-T5 driveshaft yoke
-Original style shifter handle for T5
-Original style 5 speed pattern shift knob
-18/20/23 tooth speedo gears for a starting variety

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I wouldn't put a T5 behind a 351W. They aren't torque boxes like the good old Toploader or the TKO

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion and definitely *noted*.

I should have mentioned that this is the mission I am going with, its one that ive always felt comfortable with and what i will be using for 'this' build

Thank you to everyone who tells me to go with something else, but i have made up my mind in the drivetrain department

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Pics required of impending disaster!
Just keep your foot out of it and you should be OK.
Which Cable conversion are you using? If Mustang Steve, go ahead and get his bearing kit and modify the pedal assembly to use bearings at the same time.
Oh, and do not use an aftermarked clutch cable. They just don't hold up as well as a ford cable.
How about your starter? Will it fit the T-5 housing?
If you go to Steedas website you can find a chart to see which speedO gear works with your rear gear, but this is for the new style speedO senders. Not sure about Vintage cable drives.
Grease for the bearing sleeve/throw out bearing to ride on.
BTW, what is your rear gear? If you are in the 2:?? range, it is going to be a real dog to drive.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
What trans is in the 67 now?..Do you plan on running a cable instead of the factory linkage?..I helped my brother swap a T-5 into his 67 in place of a toploader..It was a very simple swap..We used the T-5 bellhousing and adapted it to use the stock 67 clutch fork and linkage..There is a very inexpensive little kit you can buy to do this from most mustang places..Next he needed a custom crossmember and he opted for the shifter that bolts to the T-5 and looks like the factory 67 shifter...Those were all of the parts we needed..The stock starter and driveshaft bolted up with no problem..

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,666 Posts
I threw a '93 T5 in my '67 (with a 351W) for fitting purposes. I didn't like how far forward the shifter came up in the factory opening. So I pulled it back out. This weekend I put together a 1995 V6 T5 and stuck that in. The shifter is a smidge over to the passenger side a bit too far but otherwise centered up nicely. But...the bellhousing that gives that extra bit to the rear is for a 164 tooth flywheel. I'm thinking about getting a 1978 F100 302 flyweel. That will give me 164 teeth and the 28 ounce imbalance. Also the option to use an 11"clutch. But I don't know if I can use the V6 11" clutch (which I have) on that flywheel or will I have to get a "truck" clutch. And will the truck clutch make nice with the Mustang throwout/bellhousing depth. Next I have to actually buy one of those flywheels and go from there.
If all that works out without too much difficulty I then have to make the call to use a cable clutch or some hydraulic version. I have most of the original type clutch linkage that I was planning to use, but since the opening in the later bellhousing is rotated downward more I'm thinking that's no longer an option.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know how this received so many responses but was still not showing up in my "todays posts" section...

Thank you to everyone for help and suggestions, i will be sure to read over everything in its entirety when i get a break during the Marine thing and school!

·
Registered
97 Posts
What trans is in the 67 now?..Do you plan on running a cable instead of the factory linkage?..I helped my brother swap a T-5 into his 67 in place of a toploader..It was a very simple swap..We used the T-5 bellhousing and adapted it to use the stock 67 clutch fork and linkage..There is a very inexpensive little kit you can buy to do this from most mustang places..Next he needed a custom crossmember and he opted for the shifter that bolts to the T-5 and looks like the factory 67 shifter...Those were all of the parts we needed..The stock starter and driveshaft bolted up with no problem..
Where did you get the kit from and what's it called? Any pictures?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m building my 1967 mustang gt coupe , I found a 351w & T5 trans. My question is does the 5.0 bell housing fits to unit these together. I seen ya mentioned a kit.
Also the car cane with disk brake in the front. What kind of break booster do I need. ??

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,666 Posts
Since this thread is like eight years old, you might get better answers just starting a new one.
But anyway, yes, a 5.0 bellhousing will bolt right up to a 351W.

I'm not using power assisted brakes on my '67 (with a 351W and T5 in it) but if I did I would just buy a new or rebuilt factory type 1967 Mustang brake booster. Too easy. It's the same booster whether you have disk or drum front brakes.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
When it's time to hook up the speedometer, don't even consider the 23 toot speedo driven gear. These gears are not designed for the T5 and will soon shed their teeth. If the T5 has a 8 tooth drive gear on the output shaft, it may have to be changed to a 7 tooth to get the correct driven gear depending on your final drive ratio and tire size. Here is an online speedo gear calculator that can tell you what you need:
This is the usual 23 tooth speedo gear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts