Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cousin wants to put a 5 speed tranny in his truck. he has a 64 ford that right now has a stick and an inline 6. he is stuck on putting a 5 spd in it. my dad who is building it and helping him put it all in wants him to put in a C4.
1) b/c it is going to be way cheaper to put in the C4, we already have one in our garage that he can get for cheap and rebuild it.
my question Approx. how much would it cost to rebuild a t5 if we had one?

2) t5s are hydrolic clutchs and to convert everything over is going to be very time consuming and going to cost even more money. is this assumption right?

i am trying to get some info on this from ppl who have done it and give the pros and cons of all this. money is an issue, he doesnt have a lot. between me and my dad its going to cost him more to rebuild the t5 then its going to cost him to rebuild the 351w that he has started right now. he is building it to stock and is going to have very little left over or maybe even run out before the end. he has good intensions but doesnt understand how big his pocket books is going to have to be.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I just converted my 65 6 cylinder mustang to a T5 tranny. Cost about $750 all said and done. But I went with a 4 cylinder T5. I'm assuming his truck has either a 240 or 300 I6. The 4 cylinder T5 probably wouldn't hold up to that for a very long time. Rebuilding a T5 is pretty easy and isn't terribly expensive especially if you have the tranny out and take it to the shop.

As far as the conversion goes, you don't have to convert the transmission because of the clutch. You will need an adaptor plate for it and you'd need to get a clutch disc with the right spline count for the T5 tranny (so long as it fits on your flywheel.

Slade

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
1. T5s are cable-actuated, not hyd, in stock form (86-93 Mustang, maybe in 94-up they are, I dont know). You can put a hyd clutch on it, but its more $$$ than a cable clutch. A typical cable clutch setup is ~140, minus the bellhousing, fork, clutch,etc. It would have to be adapted to a 64 pickup, no doubt.

2. A rebuilt T5 with the most common internal upgrades will run ~600-800 IIRC. A rally beefed one is ~1000 I guess. There are some folks on this list, particularly, Glen Buzek, who sell rebuilt T5s.

3. You didnt ask, but Im with your cousin on this one. If it were my project and were going to all the trouble Id pursue a T5 if I had the scratch, the OD would make it worthwhile. The T5-in-a-classic-Mustang is about a drop-in now, so I dont the technical issues are insurmountable. Just have to weigh that against a very cheap/free C4 I guess.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
If he wants to put a 5-speed in a truck I would look into the truck trannys. It will be cheaper.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I'm going to put a T5 into my 66. My T5 came from a '97 V6 Mustang. I'm not concerned about durability because these transmissions are rated at 265 #s, the same as '85 to 89 5.0 T5's! I got mine cheap and it's in excellent condition. The only thing I need to do is to swap the input shaft (too long).

Now in saying that, since your cuz wants to run a 351W, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new Z series T5 rated at 335 #s. IIRC, Mustanfg T5's are rated to a max of either 300 or 310 #s, I'm not sure. By the time you buy and rebuild a T5, most likey you'd be at the cost of a new one!

But one thing that might throw a monkey in the wrench works is the T5 shifter location. It may come up right into the seat in the truck. Something to ponder.

Having the C4 already and concidering a 351W coupled to the truck, it's a tough argument IMO to use the T5 despite how much you want a 5 speed!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,254 Posts
I don't think he's want to use a T5. The shifter is most definitely in the wrong place. The torque rating isn't very high. You definitely want something to handle torque for use in a truck. The best thing I can think of would be an "M5" 5 speed out of an 87-96 F150. Commonly found behind 300 six cylinders (I drive one every day)and 5.0 trucks. It is a hydraulic clutch, so you'd want to rob the setup off a junkyard truck too.
The hardest part of the swap would likely be figuring out to hook the master cylinder to the clutch pedal.
Down sides of the M5 are: 1-It's made by Mazda, and not as durable as it could be. 2-Ratios are definitely "truckish" rather than sporty. 3-Even used, they're not particularly cheap. They're getting about $600-800 for a good used one around here.
He might be better off with a C4, or if you want to get a little more complicated-an AOD. The AOD died in my 351W F100 and I happened to have a Mustang C4 with a shift kit handy. It made the truck fun to drive and worked very well. I'm replacing it with another AOD (when I get around to it). I really got to like the C4's shift kit and consider it a must have in the new AOD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts