Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I was getting my T5 ready to send to the trans shop for a once over. Found two sets of numbers. First ia stamped on the main body and second is on the Tag.

13-52-065-921 = this number comes up as a 1984 5.0 mustang / Capri

13-52-219 = this number comes up as a 1994 world class From a 5.0 Mustang (which is what I was “sold”.

can anyone verify?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
From what I was told, ignore the casting numbers on the trans - they don’t tell you anything about what it came from. I would focus on the numbers on the tag.

Just to be sure - do you know the ‘94 T5 is different than the older ones and won’t drop in a classic Mustang as easily as they will (input shaft is 1” longer)?

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
The 1st number is the casting number of the case. It was 1st used in the 84 but was used for many years after that.

The tag is the actual application and what matters.

The 94 input shaft is 5/8” longer and can actually give you a better shifter position. (which is why Ford changed it) Some cars will require a little trimming of the shifter hole in the back. On pre 94 trannys some cars require the front of the hole trimmed. So it comes down to personal preference or a good deal. The thing to keep in mind is you have to have the matching 94 bell housing.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Just to be sure - do you know the ‘94 T5 is different than the older ones and won’t drop in a classic Mustang as easily as they will (input shaft is 1” longer)?
I dropped a '94 T5 in my 69... no adapters, no shortening the drive shaft, no cutting the tunnel. My engine is a '72 351W. Everything bolted right up and I've been driving it since March, 2016. T5 replaced a C4. The T5 also came with the bell. Looks like yours did too.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I dropped a '94 T5 in my 69... no adapters, no shortening the drive shaft, no cutting the tunnel. My engine is a '72 351W. Everything bolted right up and I've been driving it since March, 2016. T5 replaced a C4. The T5 also came with the bell. Looks like yours did too.
I probably should have said ‘65-66, based on everything I’ve read. My T5 case is actually a ‘94, but my builder swapped the intervals to the earlier style.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... yes, aware of the fit issues with the 94. I’m going with modern driveline so they have put me in the right direction. It’s going in my 68 and I’ve seen a few posts with same setup and not having any issues. I’m not worried about trimming a little.

ive found some more info on determining the difference between a pre world class and world class. I think I’m in the clear but uncertain what the gear ratios are.
im not sure I trust the tag. Could have been swapped if it was rebuilt, but seller said it wasn’t. Had 60,000 Km on it. Plus its sealed with black sealant. Most times when it’s rebuilt, the red high heat sealant is used

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Go off the tag number and not the case number. You should always be able to measure the input shaft length as well if you're unsure about it.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Based on the 219 number it should have a 3.35 first gear.

T5 ID Chart

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
+1 3.35 low world class . Before using , check the input for "wobble" . If it does wobble , the shim under the bearing race in the collar should be replaced with a thicker shim to get minimal or zero wobble. I say wobble because few are able to actually check "end play". Because the case is aluminum and the gears are steel , the case expands more than the steel parts the end play increases during use and the excessive end play can and WILL cause gear failure.
Randy

·
Registered
899 Posts
If you are sending the T5 to a trans shop, I would do a few upgrades to it at that time.

Install a billet steel countershaft bearing retainer (see pic)

Install a steel front input bearing retainer if your current one is galled up and as GT350HR states, re-shim it.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I actually had a chance to bring it in to a trans shop, and he verified it’s a world class. He opened it up in front of me and it looks brand new. Very very minimal wear. He’s going to do a once over on it, freshen it up and seal it all back up. I’ll talk to him about those couple of upgrades.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts