Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting real close to dropping the stroker and T5 in our daughters 64.5. Replacing the D-Code and C4. Not that familiar with the neutral safety wiring and backup light wiring on the T5. Attached is a picture of what I have. Can the T5 wiring be connected to the orig. factory neutral safety and backup wiring and work correctly? If so which pair of connectors on the T5 is neutral and which is backup?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
The connector on top is the NSS. The 2 prong plug on the side is the backup lights. You can splice the transmission wires into the body wires and everything will work.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The "neutral safety switch" is a bit of a misnomer on the T5. It's actually the "neutral sensing switch" which tells the ECU on fuel injected cars when the transmission is in neutral and has nothing to do with the starting circuit. The starter interlock on the Fox-era cars was integrated into the clutch pedal position switch. I have read somewhere that the NSS on the T5 is not rated for the current draw in the starter solenoid circuit (not that it is all that much, but it is significantly more than logic-level signals that the ECU would use).

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
I took some electrical wire & made my own "jumper cables" from the factory wiring to these two prongs. Much cheaper ( pretty much free ) than what you can buy...and faster than waiting for delivery. Dean

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend told me to use "banana female" plugs for the reverse lights and splice in the wire to the factory harness. After reading Greg's response, I'll ask my neighbor "automotive electrical engineer" about those points. Thanks to everytone.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Yes, I used two of these 90° female plugs from an old harness that were still in good shape, not hard & brittle.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The "neutral safety switch" is a bit of a misnomer on the T5. It's actually the "neutral sensing switch" which tells the ECU on fuel injected cars when the transmission is in neutral and has nothing to do with the starting circuit. The starter interlock on the Fox-era cars was integrated into the clutch pedal position switch. I have read somewhere that the NSS on the T5 is not rated for the current draw in the starter solenoid circuit (not that it is all that much, but it is significantly more than logic-level signals that the ECU would use).
I used it for the NSS switch in my FFR Cobra and never had a problem in the 4 years that I owned the car. It's possible that the neutral sensing switch is over built for its intended purpose, making it ideal for use as a neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts