Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im setting up a 87 5.0 with a 90 T5 in my 68. Planning on using my stock z bar and clutch fork setup. I am pretty sure I can use a standard 68 style throw out bearing, but I've read a few posts that discuss the 10.5" clutch setup might need something different.

Anyone have experience with this? Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
When I changed from my 65's original T10 4 speed to a T5 5 speed I used the throwout bearing that was already in the bellhousing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have the part number, but I used one from Modern Driveline. Just give them a call or email and tell them what you're running and they will hook you up. They're great to work with.

·
Registered
670 Posts
There are two throwout bearings types, the old design that fit the the Z-bar fork and the new design for the cable fork. The clutch used dosen't matter, because the old/new bearings are basically the same just with a different mounting pad.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
The original factory clutch release fork for a '68 uses a National / Timken style bearing 614038. (I think Ford's bearing
supplier originally was Aetna Bearing out of Illinois though)

More Information for NATIONAL 614038

·
Registered
580 Posts
I used National bearing 614038 with the vintage clutch fork in the T-5 bellhousing modified for Z-bar actuation on my diaphragm clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s exactly the setup I’m planning to use.

Appreciate the advice.

Now I just need to decide on which clutch to use

·
Registered
34,489 Posts
IIRC, I have the Ram 88502, which if memory serves, is equivalent to the C7ZZ 10.5" stock replacement for the 289HP and BOSS 302.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts