Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this topic link and found it interesting. I was wondering if anyone had a Modern driveline or Dark horse (or any actually) ready made Xmember they could take a measurement from the mounting point of the insulator to the centerline of the holes. ::
Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Is the Tremec mount the same as the T-5? I have a Modern Driveline Tremec crossmember and haven't installed it yet, so I can supply whatever measurements you need. Actually, you are not that far away, so if it is the same PM me and I'll let you borow it.

Lou

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the Tremec mount the same as the T-5? I have a Modern Driveline Tremec crossmember and haven't installed it yet, so I can supply whatever measurements you need. Actually, you are not that far away, so if it is the same PM me and I'll let you borow it.

Lou
They list them (T5/Tremec) seperately so let me do a little more checking around.
I really apreciate the offer and may take you up on it.
Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Does this help? It was for a '66.

http://www.phlegm.us/store/crossmember.jpg

You can also ask CobraSix, he has the MD crossmember and his tranny is currently out.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Aside from the measurement your asking for, the driveline angle will be about 1 degree off or 4 degrees with aftermarket crossmembers (although you may be modifying your C4 crossmember which may not cause the driveline angle issue). You can get it close to the original 3 degrees by shimming the insulator up 1/2". 1 degree of driveline angle error will move the fan very close or in contact with the fan shroud if you have one and will make it difficult or impossible to reconnect your exhaust. It can also cause vibration and premature wear on the driveshaft U joints.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this help? It was for a '66.

http://www.phlegm.us/store/crossmember.jpg

You can also ask CobraSix, he has the MD crossmember and his tranny is currently out.
OOOO, you Da MAN!!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get it close to the original 3 degrees by shimming the insulator up 1/2".
Is this what you ended up doing?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
yes...This got the driveline angle to about 3.4 degrees. It would need to go up another 1/4" to get to 3 degrees, but then the top of the trans housing hits the tunnel. 3.4 was close enough and my fan was nearly centered in the shroud and I could bolt my headers back to my exhaust pipes. the drawback of raising the trans 1/2" is that now the shifter stuck up higher inside my center console and things were tight in there. If you don't have a center console then no worries.

·
Registered
683 Posts
O.K., my silly question for the day. I just took delivery of my used t-5 transmission. I know the switch for back-up lights is down on the driver's side of the transmission case. What is the wiring connection for that hangs off of the top front of the t-5? I am assuming this will not be used in my '68???

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess is something to do with EEC

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
O.K., my silly question for the day. I just took delivery of my used t-5 transmission. I know the switch for back-up lights is down on the driver's side of the transmission case. What is the wiring connection for that hangs off of the top front of the t-5? I am assuming this will not be used in my '68???
It's for the neutral safety switch, and no, you don't need it. I didn't need it for my 66.
Daniel

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
blkfrd
i remember your post about the driveline angle ealier,would have never gave it thought until that post.
anyhow, i looked at my fan after my install.
i have the earlier lower motor mounts.
the change in cross member so far has been to my advantage.
i had problems before with fan hitting lower driver side bottom of the fan shroud, had to bend it and tie off to the old tranny cooler line to keep it away from the fan blade.
no more problems now ,got about 1/2 inch clearance.
which brings up an interesting point with older, ill call them 64 style motor mounts, and later 65-66 style mounts and drive line angle...
what you think?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have an early 65 FB and it has the early motor mounts. Your driveline angle increased solving your fan issue. Your shroud may be installed to high which caused the fan to close to it with the stock driveline angle. My shroud has elongated holes so it can be moved up or down some. I would not be surprised that your driveline angle is more like 4 degrees now. You may be fine. I wanted to get my angle back as close to 3 degrees as possible.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi Tracy - couldn't help but notice your fastback. I like it. Has it ever appeared in any of the magazines? I'd like to get together with you for a photo shoot for Mustang Monthly if it hasn't appeared in our magazine before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts