Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found that Mod9 had a T56 in his '69 but not much detail.

My nephew is putting a 350 turbo in his trans-am and offered me his T56. Of course I'd pay him for it, but don't know what I'm getting into. It is an LSI (?) and he said "it's not as strong as the Viper model". He believes it will not handle all the HP he is putting out. He has a 175 NOS shot on a built ????

The main thing I'm worried about is driveshaft tunnel. Wil it fit w/o mods there? I know about the driveshaft itself, bellhousings, 31spline 11" clutch etc., but don't want to have to consider cutting and fabbing the tunnel.

Anyone out there done this? I salivate thinking about running higher ratio gears than my 3.55's and turing 2000RPM at 70 MPH.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Doug I see that you found I have a T56 in my 69. I did not have to do any mods to the tunnel. The only thing is the tranny sits about a 1/2" lower in the rear than the toploader did. You will have to get a new tranny crossmember as the T56 tranny mount is farther back. I made my own but I think Dark Horse makes a kit for it.Now for the tranny to fit your car there are some things you have to check. How long is the input shaft on the T56 you are looking at? Seem that all T56s have different length for the manufactures bellhousing.The Ford bellhousing will bolt to the tranny but input shaft may be to long or to short for your application. Then you would have to replace that. If you want to PM me your phone number I could call you and talk to you on how I did mine. I also put the Viper T56 in mine.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Chevy t56 WONT fit.

also, the t56 is tuff, i dunno what your friend is running but the t56 is what all the 2003 cobras came with because its all that could take the supercharged engine (as far as i know)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts