Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I debated starting a new thread, didn't want hijack groho's thread even though we are chasing the same goal. Better safe than sorry, so here we are. I thought I was moving immediately, but since I'm not, and still have a garage and a lift, I thought I'd try to get this clutch thing done. I've got the MDL kit. T5z, Fox Body "80s" repo bellhousing, and a Hydro clutch. Hydro clutch has to stay at this point since I've moved a lot of stuff including lowering the brake master cylinder 3/4"down and I have power brakes.

Kind of on the same path as groho was heading I'm considering the Fidanza Billet Aluminum Flywheel 186501 with the Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit DF161830. I don't know why Summits description says 8 bolt crank when Cernterforces website says 6 bolt https://www.centerforce.com/product/dual-friction-df920830-0010?gfid=p164507-c434534? Never heard of an 8 bolt SBF crank? I'm also going to dump most if not all of the MDL clutch setup with a Tilton 6000-Series Hydraulic Throwout Bearing 60-6104 and Tilton 76-Series Master Cylinder 76-875. Not sure how much of the MDL hydro bell crank stuff will remain under the dash. Anyway, that's about $1200 if I throw in some hand wipes and I can currently save a $100 at Summit if I order before the end of the year I think.

I need to call Tilton tomorrow to be sure on the hydro components but does the clutch and pressure plate combo look like it will play nice with the chosen flywheel?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’ll be sure to ask.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need the easy pedal at this time and assume that things will only get worse later.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just finished installing this system and the pedal feels great and engagement is really nice and the location of the engagement is in the correct place....The clutch comes with and is balanced with an aluminum flywheel. The part number listed is for an internally balanced engine....they have 28oz and 50oz versions as well.

Modern Driveline master cylinder kit (the one that shifts the location of the master cylinder)
RAM throwout bearing RAM-78130
RAM double disc clutch RAM-75-2257

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished installing this system and the pedal feels great and engagement is really nice and the location of the engagement is in the correct place....The clutch comes with and is balanced with an aluminum flywheel. The part number listed is for an internally balanced engine....they have 28oz and 50oz versions as well.

Modern Driveline master cylinder kit (the one that shifts the location of the master cylinder)
A bit more than I want to spend, but that's always the case and has yet to stop me. I'm kind of waiting until next week on both the clutch and racing seats when hopefully everybody shows up and is ready to work! I thought only public school teachers and kids got 2 weeks off during the holidays.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm having trouble finding the total weight of the Clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel assembly?

·
Registered
358 Posts
A bit more than I want to spend, but that's always the case and has yet to stop me. I'm kind of waiting until next week on both the clutch and racing seats when hopefully everybody shows up and is ready to work! I thought only public school teachers and kids got 2 weeks off during the holidays.
Totally get it. First time I saved money and ended up with a pedal that was a workout to operate and didn't engage in the right place of travel. Made the car much less fun to drive and a pain in traffic.

This time, I know now how much a less than optimum setup effects fun level, I decided to put some extra money and time into getting the setup right.....Not sure what the total weight of the system is, may need to call them up.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Totally get it. First time I saved money and ended up with a pedal that was a workout to operate and didn't engage in the right place of travel. Made the car much less fun to drive and a pain in traffic.

This time, I know now how much a less than optimum setup effects fun level, I decided to put some extra money and time into getting the setup right.....Not sure what the total weight of the system is, may need to call them up.
I'm glad your now happy with your setup and I've got 4 months before I drop the clutch again. I'll give them a call!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts