Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is regarding how to clean a 69 tach dash circuit board:
I was cleaning up some parts that will be going back on the car very soon and I noticed a bunch of dirt and crap on the tach dash circuit board panel when I took it apart to give it a good cleaning.
Can the plastic circuit panel be cleaned?
What can I use to clean it?
Some of the connectors have small amounts of rust on them.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Keep those Ponies rolling.. don't crush them!!!

G

·
0 Posts
You can go 2 ways here, both about equally effective:

1. Get a bottle of 3M multipurpose cleaning solution - it's a mixture of fluorocarbon and isopropyl alcohol, designed to disintegrate sludge and then evaporate itself. Use with qtips (don't stick a dirtied end into the bottle or you will contaminate the bottle).

2. go down to radioshack & buy a can of compressed electronic circuitry cleaner - it's got a solution & some compressed air to 'blow' off sludge. Sometimes radio shack doesn't have this and you end up going to a specialized electronics parts store.

Don't use regular isoproply alcohol, as it leaves a residue. And definitely don't use anything else other than water (yes, water can be used if you just dampen it and make sure you get it nice and dry).

As far as rust on the connectors, as long as the board is working properly don't worry about it - it's most likely just surface rust. If you try to clean it you're likely to crack solder connections and then you need to break out the iron & come up with a good heat sink method to not destroy the board.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tennesseecub,
Thank you so much for the detailed information about cleaning the board. This will help greatly in my project.

Keep those Ponies rolling.. don't crush them!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts