Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an autometer tach (2 inch) that I've mounted in the engine compartment to help with tuning the car/getting it running again.

Instructions state to hook the tach to the + side of the coil. Tach didn't work hooked there (don't know why, I'm still assuming the tach itself is good), other wires are all hooked up on "known good" connections. Where else would you recommend hooking this up? Somewhere under the Dash? Where would the Rally Pac tach hook up? I tried to find the plug the Rally Pac would hook into but couldn't find it.

Any ideas on where to hook this up, or was it hooked up right and just a bad tach?

Thanks!

SprintCC

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Are you sure it said the + side of coil? Never heard of that one before, especially with an Autometer. One lead should be grounded, and one should go to the - side of the coil. If you have a MSD6A box, it needs to go to the tach port on it. If it has a 3rd lead (which it probably does), that will go to the lighting circuit, if you want the light to come on with the headlights.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Agree with Jonpro, the +ve side of your Tacho will goto the -ve side of your coil. The other side of your tacho will be grounded.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts