Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got up early today and dragged my SWMBO with me (in order to use the commute lane)to Palo Alto Speedometer.
I was first in line at 07:45. Pulled the '67 around back and told my story about their tach not working. After some kindly words saying that customers were to wait in the front and me smiling and moving they called me back to explain my thoughts and suggestions. ::
I told them to call MSD directly (I hate being the middle man when I don't know what I'm talking about :naive:) about whether the car needed a MSD tach adapter or not (I had both version 8910 and 8920).
PA checked the output from the MSD box and found barely no signal. So the MSD box was the problem.
Pack it all up and head for Speed Merchant in San Jose and get a new MSD box (prior was 3 years old already).
Of course I had to explain why I didn't need a MSD tach adapter ...again... and the whole story. Started the '67 up and did a check on one of their new tachs and also on the rebuilt one from PA. Both worked. :highfive: :highfive:
Drove home and a slight rain started. SWMBO asked "do you have wipers?" "Sure, the switch is on the floor behind me in the cluster" :joker: She switched it on...."doesn't seem to work too well".(being facitious) :joker:

I get home and promptly install all the gauges and cluster. Wire it up. trun the key and the wipers move rubbing across a dry windshiled and scare me to death. I thought something was going wrong at first. Start the engine. The nice tach needle moves. :highfive: :highfive:

All this to get that little needle to bounce around :wall:. :biggrin: Since I've owned the '67 the tach hasn't worked.

Anyone interested in buying a usable (not for a tach though) but used MSD 6A ignition box?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
:rofl:

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Yeah, but don't cha just luv watchin it bounce around? http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbs.gif

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I guess the "too bad" part is that now the MSD box is too old to be covered under warranty. You may want to call MSD, anyway, though. They'll probably fix it for a fraction of what that new unit cost.

FWIW, the MSD6A-L box in my '66 has been in it now for 7 years and has obout 85,000 miles on it. 3 years, and the amount of miles you put on it should be nothing.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Forget about the tach saga. Let's talk about being brutal enough to drag SWMBO out of bed just so you can use the commute lane. If I did that, there wouldn't be a SWMBO around very long. You MUST be quite the stallion for her to put up with such nonsence... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Most multispark boxes screw up electric tachs. That is because the tach is made to react to the single spark that a stock-like ignition puts out. No problem with Pertronix I because it puts out a single impulse to the coil. Solution? Get a mechanical tach. It won't care how many sparks go to the coil, just how many times the dampener rotates. When I had a Jacobs multipark box, the tach ran at around 3k - 4k RPM all the time. Pretty frustrating...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
That why I said "most".....in any case, I don't know much about MSD except they have a good rep, and after less than pleasant experiences with Jacobs (after they were bought), I'll try MSD if I decide to go that route.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Congrats on getting an operational tach.

To go a little bit further from the thread, I don't seem to have much luck with Jacobs Mileage Masters boxes. Oh, they work great - then they stop working and become door stops. I have two of them now. I heading over to MSD now...

Dean T

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Congrats on getting an operational tach.

To go a little bit further from the thread, I don't seem to have much luck with Jacobs Mileage Masters boxes. Oh, they work great - then they stop working and become door stops. I have two of them now. I heading over to MSD now...

Dean T
I have a Jacobs Pro Street door stop. When I bought it, I was told it would cost not more than about $70.00 to get it fixed if it failed. It ran great for several years. Then Jacobs sold the company, then my unit failed about six months later, they moved and I found out that they don't repair anymore. The will replace coils and wires, but you're screwed if the spark boxes fail. Hope that the Jacobs inventor enjoys his money, but he left a lot of customers hanging. I do not appreciate that. I, too, will go MSD if I decide I want to add a spark box again. The Jacobs stuff is expensive and I do not intend to get bitten again. By the way, the current help desk told me that when they bought the company, manufacuturing moved offshore; which frustrated me even more. When Jacobs was in Texas, all work was done there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts