Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Some time ago, I joined the VMF. As a owner of a FB, I searched to install a tachometer which my FB did not come with. After doing some search, I have narrowed it for 2. One is the Midlife Harness Restorations. They do take your cluster and convert it to accomadate a Tachometer. Additionally, the headlight and alternator harness must be replaced according to the information posted in the website. Unless someone finds a good harness for a cheap price, they run pretty high to be purchased new.
The other way is refered from a Mustang Monthly article back in the late 90's. Although one had to spend some time under the hood, the parts required could be purchased at a local parts store.

The real question is: which of the 2 is a better buy? I do enjoy the plug n play which is easy to connect and diagnose should something go wrong or get loose. I like to do this one time and not have to go back and redo the installation of the tachometer on my 67 FB. Thanks to all

Lewis
US ARMY (active)
FOB Airborne, Afghanistan

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Do you really think anyone here is going to recommend against Midlife?? ;^)

Don't spend too much time wiring and under the hood while you could be driving.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
OK, first of all, absolutely zero modification is needed to connect the tach. Likewise, the oil light requires only changing the sender. You do need to run a new wire from the voltage regulator to the alt light. If this takes a whole hour under the hood, you need a new hobby. Really the only tricky part is the difference of the tach and non-tach cluster plugs. I would go with modify it yourself. Much cheaper, much quicker.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
22GT

Thanks for the input. I do its cheaper and quiker. If you happen to have a breakdown of the article in reference to the parts required, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have seen it but turned away from it. I do like my clock that works. I have not seen many who work now a days. I like to go with the Original Tachometer instead. I just seek the right way to go installing it. Any one who has done this please respond with your step by step procedure

Thanks

Lewis

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I am doing the same thing with my 70 Mach. My biggest expense thus far was the factory tach panel but judging by sale prices after mine, I think I did pretty good.

I dont know if any of this is applicable to a 67 but it's interesting reading if you are going to do this. You don't have to change the headlight harness but most are pretty crusty and hard by now anyway. Buy the repo from Alloy Steel. My main underdash harness I had cleaned, tested, and rewrapped by Midlife. I opted for the conversion which he also did at additional charge. Here is the link to the plug conversion to accomodate OEM tach.

Tach

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Tach install

Do you already have the cluster back plate? It is different between a Tach and non Tach car. Finding it cheap may be the hardest part of your effort. The tach itself has separate wiring from the cluster so it is easy to add. As already stated there are a few minor changes for the idiot lights, including replacing or modifying the underhood wiring. As this wiring is usually pretty ratty I would recommend replacing it. It isn't too expensive. The most important thing in all this is to understand the the lead into the Tach is a special resistor wire designed to reduce voltage from 12V to 9V. You have to identify this "Pink" wire and use it or you will fry your Tach.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Send the tach to Tach man to convert it to an aftermarket tach hookup. Hide aftermarket gauges in the glove compartment. Personally I consider the ALT light to be a waste of time - you will find out pretty quickly if it is charging or not. And I don't trust the OIL idiot light either.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Do you really think anyone here is going to recommend against Midlife?? ;^)

Don't spend too much time wiring and under the hood while you could be driving.

Scott, did you notice that Lewis is in Afghanistan right now? :) Don't think he is doing much driving other than MRAPs and Hummers. :)

Can't contribute to the thread other than saying thank you for your service.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I guess this has already been covered. The two alternatives you mentioned don't necessarily lead to the same result. That old Mustang Monthly tech article really concerns installing a deluxe tach cluster in place of the standard cluster. It's not about installing the deluxe tach in a standard cluster. The metal cluster housing is harder to find than the factory deluxe tach. The bulk of the article concerns rewiring the car so the amp idiot lite works on the deluxe cluster. The oil warning light is just one wire plus a new sender on the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts