Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some fairly serious body cancer at the bottom of my tail lights on a 69 Grande Coupe. Would it be better to repair this panel in order to keep original sheet metal or would it be better to replace the tail light panel?

Thanks,

69 Grande
2000 GT

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think replacing the pannel would be the best bet, although I don't know how hard it is or whats involved.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570462&a=11937310&p=44317415.jpg

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You'll have to replace it, and it is not easy. There are probably 75-100 spot welds holding it in. Before you do it, make sure you perfectly align your trunk lid, and leave it on. Without that to go by, you won't know exactly where the taenl panel goes left/right. When you cut out the tail-panel, both quarters are flapping in the breeze.

Ken
1969 Silver Jade Mach 1 with 429/C6 (under-going full restoration)

G

·
0 Posts
hey there, sorry to hear about your rust problem that definitely stinks when that happens. In regarding your rust problem. If you want to restore your daughters car to its original state I would take care of the rust. I don't know exactly how bad your rust problem is, so I can't say what you can or can't do or how hard it would be to treat it. If you decide to replace the panel that would take less time and hassle with regarding the rust, because if your lower panel is bolted on you can always take out the lower panel yourself and replace it with the new one yourself. Now if it needs to be welded I would take it to some sort of professional, I only say this because I don't know if you can weld it in yourself. If you can I wish you the best luck. If your looking for the lower panel Larry's Thunderbird and Mustang parts, inc would have it. The number is 1-800-854-0393 or 714-871-6432. Now if you don't like there prices you can always call National Parts Depot and the number is 805-654-0468. National Parts Depot part number for the lower rear panel extension is 40544-5A, which is $44.95 and that's without exhaust opening. If you want the ones with exhaust opening the number is 40544-6A, which is $54.95. Now if your tailight panel has rust on it to you can call the numbers I gave you. But to help you further the taillight panel from National Parts Depot would cost you $94.50 and from Larry's Mustang it would cost you $109.95. I hope this helps you with your problem and as always GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I you need some panels to replace the rust give me a call.We can beat the catalog prices by 10% or better as our everyday price. Thanks Matt Ponderosa Mustang
1 850 857 1084

1 - 5 of 5 Posts