Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1964 1/2 mustang with some tail light issues. The running lights are ok on both sides. The brake lights only work on the driver side. The signal lights work only on the driver side. I've tried four different tail light bulbs and no change. I tried using a test light in the power wire to the passenger side and no power. Where should I look first? I'm not very good at electrical stuff. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
The turn signal switch is often the culprit in these one-sided issues.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
make sure you have good grounds

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'll vote for turn signal switch. Trouble with the aftermarket switches is: they're all junk. I'm on my 4th replacement right now. The cancelling cam never worked. Emergency flashers would come on randomly so I disconnected them. My horn is on a button under the dash... but, I have brake lights. I have turn signals. I have a state inspection sticker. I'm good.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll vote for turn signal switch. Trouble with the aftermarket switches is: they're all junk. I'm on my 4th replacement right now. The cancelling cam never worked. Emergency flashers would come on randomly so I disconnected them. My horn is on a button under the dash... but, I have brake lights. I have turn signals. I have a state inspection sticker. I'm good.
My turn signal switch is only 2 years old and was a NOS Ford one.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Have you replaced the wiring? 55 year old copper might have a few gaps in it. That's what solved my issues with taillights and brakes.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It may be all of the above, or just a few- grounds, bad turn switch, or bad wires, and I would check them in that order. This schematic shows a 69, but all the classics (except the 70) work the same way. Just disregard extra lights if you don't have them:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts