Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I blew out my old mufflers and ordered some thrush turbos to replace.
thought my pipes were 1 7/8 but turns out they are 2" but the tail pipes are 1 7/8.
one of the tail pipes has some holes in it and figure i would just replace both with 2".
I have been looking all over the internets and could only find the driver side on cjponyparts
the passenger side says in stock but is grayed out.
searched NPD and only had turn downs which i dont want. that was after looking through 25 pages of all different parts.
I wish parts websites would make searches easier, I searched for 2" tail pipes and 1969 tail pipes and just tail pipes on both sites. what they returned was pages of exhaust kits between 300 to 1000 bucks. all i need is tail pipes.
sorry this was more of a rant then question, but if you know where i can get just 2" tail pipes that would be awesome.
Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
The pandemic shortages are just beginning, so improvising maybe needed.
Check a local exhaust shop to see if they have a bend card for dual exhaust and have some made.
The DIY method, which I have done to make exhaust for a custom system, is to pie cut some tubing and mig it but it takes practice not to burn through aluminized tubing.
The best way is to tig and stainless.
Check out Phil's under axle polished SS pie cut exhaust!
Light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Font

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is purrrtyyyy exhaust.
yeah didnt really want to go to Meineke, wonder if they can make a set with my old ones there?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Give these guys a call. I have their complete system, I called them before ordering and they were helpful. They make the systems themselves, they may sell just sell you a set of tailpipes.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Try Virginia Classic Mustang, excellent folks. Or try Maryland Mustang. I got a complete kit from them and the tail pipes were perfect. They probably sell them individually.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
NPD carries the Precision Exhaust line. I would call them to see if they have the 2" tailpipes in stock. Another option would be to get the very available 2 1/4" tailpipes, run 2 1/4" mufflers and run 2" to 2 1/4" adapters from your intermediate pipes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on taking my old pipes to Meineke and see if they can bend a set of pipes to match them. Thanks for the replies and websites to try. if they cant do it then i will be calling some of the vendors mentioned above.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well Meineke looked at the pipes and said they dont do that, even asked for two pieces of 2" pipe with a bell on one side so it would slip over my 2" pipe, guy said no we dont do that either :mad:. went to another place and the guy was very busy said need to make an appointment and he wanted the car there. wouldn't even look at the pipes. I got no mufflers on the car and no way I can drive it there like that. Man I miss the old days when people would try and help you out, atleast look at what i got and tell me yes or no. not make me come back. My company I work for we go the extra mile to make sure our tenants are happy.
So now that im PO'ed looks like I will be ordering pipes online.
any one know if the 2 1/4 kit will fit on to my 2" H pipe or should i just order the 2" kit

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
If you're stock or mild, 2 inch will work as that is what the exit is at the manifolds.
2 and 1/4 gives you a little room for improvment down the road and is a popular upgrade.
2 and 1/2 is a bit of overkill, I guess, but I got a nice pair of mandrel-bent (no flat spots or creases, just smooth all the way through the curves) pipes pre-made by Flowmaster. They are a tight fit on the driver side next to the leaf spring on a 65-66 though. These fit 65-73 and just trim to length.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a American thunder kit that is 2 1/2" but my car is stock right now.
for now i think i will order the 2" stuff from CJponyparts and be done with this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try these guys.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
well Meineke looked at the pipes and said they dont do that, even asked for two pieces of 2" pipe with a bell on one side so it would slip over my 2" pipe, guy said no we dont do that either :mad:. went to another place and the guy was very busy said need to make an appointment and he wanted the car there. wouldn't even look at the pipes. I got no mufflers on the car and no way I can drive it there like that. Man I miss the old days when people would try and help you out, atleast look at what i got and tell me yes or no. not make me come back. My company I work for we go the extra mile to make sure our tenants are happy.
So now that im PO'ed looks like I will be ordering pipes online.
any one know if the 2 1/4 kit will fit on to my 2" H pipe or should i just order the 2" kit
My suggestion is to forget about the system you have and order a system from Precision I linked too above... do it once, do it right... if the tailpipes and mufflers have holes, the front pipes cannot be much better...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well ordered the 2" magnaflow kit from CJponyparts yesterday and it shipped yesterday!
says it will be at my house today, we will see.
thanks for the suggestions guys, I will let you know how it goes with the install.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well ordered the 2" magnaflow kit from CJponyparts yesterday and it shipped yesterday!
says it will be at my house today, we will see.
thanks for the suggestions guys, I will let you know how it goes with the install.
knew it was to good to be true, fedex hasnt received it yet:rolleyes:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Shipped or label printed out?
Big difference.

·
I won a special award
8,070 Posts
I have a American thunder kit that is 2 1/2" but my car is stock right now.
for now i think i will order the 2" stuff from CJponyparts and be done with this.

I have the American Thunder kit in my car. Nice quality kit and was not hard to install. But you do have to access to a MIG welder to weld the front of the kit together.

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Bicycle part Automotive exterior Font

1 - 17 of 17 Posts