Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I use a 3.03 3 speed Toploader tailshaft to fit on a 4 speed top loader to have the correct mounting bosses for a mustang? It’s a Torino/ galaxie 4 speed with shifter bosses in middle instead of tail? Just curious if I might have a use for the several three speeds I have laying around?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don’t think so. Speedo gear is on different side. Also there are three shift rails for the three speed. I never looked or thought about it. I have a three speed lying around I was going to use but my toploader is on the way back from Dan Williams.

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
The three speed tail is not compatible. There's an adapter plate that allows you to run the midmount Torino tail with a rear mount Mustang shifter.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
755 Posts
IIRC the Torino/Galaxie toploaders use a 3" longer tail shaft AND tailhousing than the standard Mustang transmission which has a total length of 24" (front of case to end of tailhousing.)

IMHO the Torino/Galaxie toploader could be used in a stang (with the shifter relocated) BUT will require a 3" shorter driveshaft.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
can I use a 3.03 3 speed Toploader tailshaft to fit on a 4 speed top loader to have the correct mounting bosses for a mustang? It’s a Torino/ galaxie 4 speed with shifter bosses in middle instead of tail? Just curious if I might have a use for the several three speeds I have laying around?
Not even close. The Mustang 3.03 tailshaft housing is an aluminum casting, far longer than the iron 4-speed tailshaft housing.

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
IIRC the Torino/Galaxie toploaders use a 3" longer tail shaft AND tailhousing than the standard Mustang transmission which has a total length of 24" (front of case to end of tailhousing.)

IMHO the Torino/Galaxie toploader could be used in a stang (with the shifter relocated) BUT will require a 3" shorter driveshaft.
The 27" toploader was used in the wagons, Rancheros and big block Torinos, as well as the Galaxie.

@coupster - A couple pics and the trans tag code are definitely needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts