Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'69 Mach1 trunk buckets for taillights...anybody know what color they came from the factory..
Thanks all

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
The sheet metal body of the 69 taillights were zinc plated originally (often referred to as bright or clear zinc)

Many came with a section of friction tape placed over the hole where the bulb would be inserted into.

Brackets appear to be plated the same (unlike previous years) but the may have been added after plating

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jeff,
Lools like you've just confirmed your own answer from the other thread ;)
What would be the closest color i could get in a can to match the original color ?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just my $0.02, but if you want them to look factory original, you'll have to have them replated clear zinc. I've tried at least a 1/2 dozen different types of clear zinc rattle can paints (including the one from Eastwood that's specifically designed to come close) and IMO nothing even comes close to the appearance of real zinc plating.
Again, just my $0.02

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Mach_One said:
Thanks jeff,
Lools like you've just confirmed your own answer from the other thread ;)
What would be the closest color i could get in a can to match the original color ?

Sorry never tried any rattle cans to reproduce the color. The originals basically look silver but take on the gold/green tint from different angles in some small areas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts