Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the tail housing on a 2.77 3 speed be removed with the transmission in the car without the needle bearings for the output shaft falling into the case? I need to replace the tail shaft bushing and seal but I don't have the special tool to remove the bushing. Im thinking that if I keep the output shaft pushed forward, I amight be able to get the housing off. I figure with the tail housing removed, I can cut the old bushing out with a dremel or chisel. Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can remove the tail housing without the tailshaft bearing falling out. The bearing on the tailshaft is pressed on, so it won't come off terribly easily.

I pulled the tailshaft off just took it to a transmission shop with the new bushing and seal, and they pulled the old off and pressed the new on. The bushing is sort of a pain to get out and you have to be really careful not to score the tailshaft where the bushing or the seal sits or else it will leak again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a ‘65 2.77 and needed to remove the tail shaft to replace the same bushing. When I removed it, the output shaft did pull out and several parts dropped into the case. It was a big pain to fix that mistake. If you try to do this, make absolutely sure to keep the output shaft in place as you remove the tail shaft. When I initially popped the seal between the case and tail shaft, it dislodged the output shaft.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ‘65 2.77 and needed to remove the tail shaft to replace the same bushing. When I removed it, the output shaft did pull out and several parts dropped into the case. It was a big pain to fix that mistake. If you try to do this, make absolutely sure to keep the output shaft in place as you remove the tail shaft. When I initially popped the seal between the case and tail shaft, it dislodged the output shaft.
Thanks for the heads up. I thought that might be the case. Going to be tricky!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the 2.77 share the same output bushing as the 3.03 ? Im having trouble finding one locally that is specific for the 2.77. Also, are the output seals the same? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts