Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 70 Mach 1 the power steering is just way too powerful! I dont remember it being so easy since it has been two years since it was on the road.

Is there a way to take some of the power out of it? Can the pump be re-geared, change diameter of pully or something? I want to keep the original style equipment and look.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21,010 Posts
I saw in a magazine many years ago where they put a valve in between the pressure and return line to shunt some of the fluid. They said it helped and could adjust the feel. I never tried this, only repeating what I recall reading.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My 73 is the same way, way too much power str. I would love to increase the str. efforts. I hope someone has a good idea/proceedure on how to do this.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I saw in a magazine many years ago where they put a valve in between the pressure and return line to shunt some of the fluid. They said it helped and could adjust the feel. I never tried this, only repeating what I recall reading.
I read the same article...they did it on a Galaxie, IIRC. Just a ball-valve spliced between the pressure and return hoses (connecting the two)....turning the valve adjusted the amount of fluid/pressure going to the ram cyl...the remainder was shunted back to the pump.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Haven't tried it yet, but I'm considering going to a Saginaw Power steering pump on the MetalMach. I guess GM made them but Ford also put them on several vehicles. I got one out of the local junkyards in the spring. Don't remember what vehicle but the engine was a 351M/400. I hope to adapt the brackets to the 351C.

I don't have a link to send you but search around the 'net for (Ford - Bronco - saginaw) and you might find something. Bronco guys have been doing the conversion for years.

The original Ford pump operates at full power while the Saginaw is "on demand". I read over and over again that it gives you a much more pleasureable drving experience.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The answer to your problem is available from Heidt's hot rod shop. It is an adjustable pressure releif valve. I am currently working on the install.

Heidt's

Best,

Brian

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wow that would be awesome! I want one but dangit they're not cheap for such a simple device.

Why do companies show one price for the part, and then another hefty price for the "installation kit" that you need? Is that their way of disguising the true price?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i used a larger pulley from a 73 galaxie 500 with a 351w also adapted the ps cooler from it as well, it works great it has enough power so that it is easy to turn but isn't the old 2 finger style power steering it had before. i did have to put a small spacer between the pulley and the pump because i have the 69 aluminum ps bracket. i'm not sure which ps bracket you have on the 70 i'm assuming it is the 70-up style stamped steel bracket, if so you won't have to use the spacer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts