Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get this thing completely apart? Its fairly obvious how the cap separates from the main body, and how the little catch separates from the cap.

BUT, how do I get the plunger and spring off the underside of the cap? I imagine the rubber seal won't do well with the chrome plating process.

Also, it looks like the cap is one piece. The reproductions in the catalogs have a main part of the cap, and then a center piece with the logo (GT-500, GT, Mustang running horse, etc) that attaches to the cap. Mine seems to be one piece and I don't see a seam anywhere for the logo piece to pop off. Is there one?

For those who have had these replated, what all did you do for disassembly?

I'd post pics, but you've either done this already or you haven't.

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
532 Posts
There is a phillips head screw behind the plunger cap. You will need to drill a hole ( just how I do it ) and then access the screw through that hole. The later release caps had the threaded boss as you will find. The later release ( F3ZZ ) are identical except for the Autolite logo. Made by Stant,just as the originals were.Later called back to Stant for re-fitting of the twist -on cap to meet EPA specs for leakage. I prefer the twist cap to protect my paint. The emblem usually has 3 peened over pins that hold the emblem. You need to grind off the heads to get the emblem loose. Hope that helps.......

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, that does help quite a bit

Dang, two things.

1), how did the factory get that screw on there if I need to drill a hole to get to it?

2) how do you put the emblem back on after everything is plated?

Unrelated question...

The cap I have has the running horse such as used on the GT/CS and the exterior decor group (I think). Can I swap that emblem out for a GT emblem, or do I need to find a GT cap?

·
Registered
532 Posts
(1) That little cap was installed (pressed in ) after the plunger was installed . Sort of like a freeze plug.....(2) I use an epoxy to re-attach the emblem. The studs will align it. It's been a while, but I think the 3 studs are located in the same place,no matter which emblem. A little dab of good epoxy over the hole you drilled will seal it again. The real challenge is the '69 GT cap! Distributor need a little/lot of work? http://428cobrajetcars.homestead.com ( little free ad )thanks!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question on this...

The center of the cap appears to have a slightly grooved finish that is circular, almost like brushed chrome but not as distinct.

Is that characteristic set in the part itself or the plating/polishing process? The real question is, will the plater I'm using be able to duplicate it? (I know, I should just ask him)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have not found a plater who can replate that center brushed area correctly. Someone obviously can. If you find someone who can, let us know!! For that matter if anyone has had it done succesfully let us know! Good luck!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Have heard the way to get the brushed finish is to lighly sand/scotchbrite the area after nickel but before the final chrome layer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts