Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some new leaf springs and the finish is not to my liking. Does anyone know how to take apart the leaf springs for refinishing?
Also, what is the correct finish on the leafs? If painted, what color?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Basically its just taking out the index pin and undoing the straps. Measure and record strap locations first. Original finish is phosphate & oil

·
Registered
131 Posts
As long as we are on this, what are the other correct finishes. Like the person posting, I am taking out the shock plates, so may as well refinish the springs. The Shock plates are galavanized, springs phospate and oil, shocks black, U bolts-natural finish. Did I get these right? How about the clips that hold the springs together? Right now most everything under the car is painted black, so will be working to change to red oxide. Diff center section is red oxide. Just thought there might be a few of us spending the winter on the cold ground, cleaning blasting and painting the underside.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Spring clips are natural as well

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Put some type of clamp on the spring before unbolting the guide bolt. Use one that can relased gradually such as a C clamp. That is also helpful for putting them back together.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I typically put the leaf spring in a vise, remove the pin/bolt and clamps (taking note of the details before as Tim mentioned) then releasing the leaf spring for disassembly.

Just reverse the process (protecting the spring from the vise this time) to reassemble

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Really helps to be able to address all the finishes at one time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts