Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a gt stripe kit for my 66. the trouble I am having is I am trying to take of the crome railing thingys that are where the gt stripe WOULD be. The choming has these brackets that are mounting them that I didnt anticipate and I cant seem to get them off!! They have these little circular bolt heads that have screwed them in and I dont know what to do. As you can probably tell, I dont know too much about cars, so any advice would be helpful. Can anyone please tell me how to get these little brackets off? thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i suppose you are talking about the rocker panel mouldings... and by the way, that's not where the GT stripes go

to remove the rocker panel mouldings, there are 2 nut holding the ends on and then the rest of the moulding just snaps off. get a light and lay down so you can see up on the bottom of the moulding and then use a screwdriver to pry up the moulding at each of the clip locations.

the GT stripes run about 1/8" above the bottom of the doors and then extending to the fenders and rear quarters.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, well I have removed the two nuts holding them in place, that was not my problem, the problem was that there are four brackets in between the two nuts that are held on my like little tiny circular bolts or something. Does anyone know how i would get THESE off?

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Um, woah. My experience is only with the 68 Mustang Coupe:

I removed the rocker moldings (chrome that goes between wheel wells, just below the doors) a couple times, but never bothered to remove the brackets. Those plastic brackets are held on by rivets.... you drill them out, and replace as necessary. However, I don't think you want to remove them if you're just installing the stripe kit.... the stripes go above the chorme piece that these brackets hold on, I thought. Don't know what a rivet looks like? Here's what a rivet-gun looks like: http://www.abusaki.com/deals/pages/39.html

Thespazardman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts