Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out taking my afternoon jog when a beautiful '67 GT fastback came rumbling down the street and stopped across from my building. Like any good Mustanger I went over and introduced myself, complemented him on his car, and then began to brag a little about my own fastback :) j/k Anyways, this guy had just drove the GT from Maryland down here to South Carolina. He had changed out the 3.55's for a set of 2.73's to get better mileage (the needed it too with the 351 he had dropped in). When I inquired about how much money he had spent on gas, he just smiled and said "I could have had my tranny redone, but I'll save that for next month." No doubt he is a brave man, I wouldn't have taken any vintage stang I know of on that trip.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I drove my 65 to Charlotte NC in 1994 for the 30th anniversary show. That was about 1000 miles one way. There were lots of Mustangs driven much further.

These old cars are damn uncomfortable on long trips and suck a lot of gas :)

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pprince on 03/13/01 03:30 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hehe, I take my Mach to Myrtle Beach, SC from here in WV... About 14 hours of driving,lots o' gas cash for the Cleveland and 3.25 gears, plus the joy of Flowmasters, no A/C, and an 8 track player. Great fun!

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
My future plans are to drive my stang in the Hot Rod power tour. If this comes true the stang is going to make it cross country. 2 things I need to fix, radio and new bushings.

I drove my stang 7 hours one day a few months ago. With no radio and being by yourself it can get quite boring. However, I did get a nice tan with the top down :)

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
In 1998, I drove my Mustang on a rally from Santa Barbara to Las Vegas via 29 Palms, Laughlin and Bullhead City (www.sbscc.org - click on results, 1998 results, novice - there I am, Leslie - Leslie in 3rd place). Took about 12 hours, over 600 miles traveled. Went over the London Bridge at 2:13 and 2:27AM on Saturday. Highlight was trying to make up for lost time on leg 8 (we missed a turn) just west of Laughlin. Checkpoint was in Oatman on old Highway 66. Max'ed that leg, but had an absolute blast! Definitely saw the speedo peg on this one!

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
We drove our 66 Hipo vert from SLC to Las Vegas, connected with Mustangs in Motion from Vegas to Charlotte for the 35th. Best Mustang event we've ever done. Even had a break down (rear wheel bearings) in Nashville. You can read about it in the current Mustangs Plus newsletter. Ron Bramlett save our butts!
We also drove the same car from SLC to Seattle last summer for the MCA show and took first place in the early modified class.
I get so high on traveling in the stang, I don't feel the discomfort of an old car. Thumbs up all along the way help too.

[color:purple]JOYCE E.</font color=purple>
Formerly VMF "plumstang"
See Bio
MCA#40248
Northern Utah Mustang Owners Association
http://www.numoa.com

·
Registered
311 Posts
I drove the 65 from Mobile, AL to Watertown, NY and back. Funny thing, When I left Mobile I was wearing shorts and t-shirt (March), when I arrived in NY it was a blizzard and could barely see the road a head of me, temp was 25 degrees. I'll NEVER do that one again! Makes a great story though.

Don
1965 Convertible, 351W, Tremmec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

·
Registered
652 Posts
I read that story! It was quite an ordeal. I wondered if that poor unfortunate was also a VMFer.
Silly me - I should have known...

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I drove my '65 Mustang convertible from Connecticut to Chicago Washingtons Birthday weekend of 1972. We had a blizzard that closed the New York Thruway. I couldn't get off beecause they wouldn't let me back on and I needed to get back to Great Lakes Naval Base for Monday morning. So I kept going in some of the worst white-out conditions I've ever seen.

I drove a '68 Camaro from Connecticut to San Diego when it was just a used car (8 years old). I fought vapor lock from New Mexico to El Cajon, where it magically cleared up and never reappeared! Along the way, I tried to jumpstart a semi broken down in the middle of nowhere (didn't work, obviously) and kept my head down through Texas (hey, it was 1976 and I was a long-haired hippie freak).

I've also ridden a motorcycle from Massachusetts to Iowa (SWMBO rode her own) and rode another one (with no windshield) from Connecticut to Dover, Delaware.

My brother and I drove my mothers '69 Torino (302, auto.) from Connecticut to California after she passed away. We did the drive in 3 days (non-stop except to gas and switch drivers) in order to get back to our homes in LA and San Diego, respectively, for Thanksgiving 1979. We were also pulling a U-Haul trailer at the time.

So taking the beautifully restored and oh so carefully rebuilt Mustang on a long trip is no big deal. It's probably less risky than what people like me did with these cars when they were just used cars! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

My Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mach1Pilot on 03/13/01 07:55 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I used to drive my first '65 'Stang (I6 FB) 1200 Miles to college. Slept overnight at a rest stop in the car. Car never missed a beat. One time I had to stop in Ashland Oregon on my way back due to the passes had snow and I had to wait until morning to buy chains. One bit of advice: Do not sleep in your car when it's snowing. I survived without frostbite.

Now I drive a '78 Fairmont everywhere with no worries but some day the garage shelf will be my long distance traveler...

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
When I moved from DC to Panama City, I took Midlife directly from the bodyshop (4 week layover there) to PC with a stop in Atlanta. No problems whatsoever, and got my best mileage to date during the trip. These cars, if reasonably maintained, are wonderfully reliable, about on par with my Hondamaggotwaggon. Total mileage was 990 miles.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/flamicon.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I drove the coupe 800 miles from Atlanta where I was working and found it to Chicago. Drove straight through with a buddy as a road trip. It was fun but I had my fingers crossed the whole time. I shouldn't have needed to though. It ran fine for the year I had it as a daily (weekday?) driver. No real problems.

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12058180&p=43615723.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have driven my '65 convertible across country twice - Virginia to California, then back to North Carolina a few years later. I also had a wonderful road trip from California to Montana and back during that time. I also had at least 10 offers to buy during those trips. I'm planning another road trip in July - Maryland to Montana.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts