Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to transfer from FSU to Miami and since it's about 4 hours closer to home (only a 2 hour drive as opposed to 6) and the fact that I no longer want to deal with the maintaining of a Porsche I will be taking my 66 over to Miami. I want to do some security upgrades to her though as I will not have a garage to store her in. I will be getting wheel locks for the cragars. I dont plan on keeping anything short of my CD player(has a detachable face) and a few CDs in the car. I want to install a hood lock of some sort and would also like something like a fuel cut off switch or something of that nature. Is there anything else you guys can think of or a product you used and liked that you could direct me towards to help keep my baby safe in Miami? Any and all info is appreciated!

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
An attack dog?

Seriously, nothing's going to stop a flatbed and a guy who wants it.

If anyone wants it bad enough they're going to get it.

Sounds like you have a VERY nice collection for a college student...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I had 5 anti-theft systems: Jacobs Ignition computer with an anti-theft engine cutoff mode. MSD has a similar thing. You can fabricate one yourself. Simply place a microswitch in the ignition circuit and hide the switch somewhere in the car. I had mine in the console ashtray. My son put his switch as a push botton switch in the bottom of the cigarette lighter, after removing the 12v wire to the heating coil. Have to push in the cigarette lighter for the car to start.

Earls and Aeroquip make bulkhead connectors which have a shut off valve integrated into them. I installed it where the fuel line goes through the engine compartment apron then put a braided stainless AN line between that and the fuel pump.

Third, I put the battery in the trunk with a hollow dummy redtop autolight battery in the engine compartment. Put a Morosso battery cut off switch under the passenger fender just forward of the coil spring cover then went from there through the apron to the solenoid. 4th, I had the club which made a visual deterrent. 5th, I had quick disconnect battery cables. I would open the trunk and disconnect one set of cables feeding the ignition. I had 4 posts on the battery and used the second set of post to power the accessories, such as stereo, clock and courtesy lights. Finally, I made a sign and put it on the steering wheel when parked. The sign indicated that the car was protected by LoJak and multiple electrical, fuel, and mechanical theft control devices. When I parked in a bad area, I put the car under a locking car cover.

Finally, as much as possible avoid predictable parking behavior. MOve the car's parking spot around so folks cannot predict where it will be and plan accordingly to arrive with tools etc. at a specific time to make an attempt on your car.

good luck.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Comprehensive insurance with a low deductible! :)

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I leave mine in unmarked boxes laying around the garage.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I leave mine in unmarked boxes laying around the garage.
LMAO :lol:.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If they want my entire car, good luck finding all that crap in the attic!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
:no: transfer from FSU to Miami?? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, ya classic cars have done me pretty good over the years. The 64 1/2 is actually my dads car, the both 68's are long gone so I have the 66, 70 and my porsche 944 (it's 21 years old, my parents got it new, it was a garage queen). Although all my cars are paid off so I'm sitting pretty right now! I met some of the dumbest people I have ever met in my life at FSU and some of those were my TA's! That is true though that if they want it bad enough they're going to get it. My best friend who goes there owns a house within walking distance from the campus with a few other guys, so I'm looking into trying to store it in their garage. I like the microswitch idea, Ill probably end up using that. Thanks guys, as always it's much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I use a T-Lock like Johnpro suggested and I leave the door unlocked. The stereo is cheaper than original replacement glass. Besides, all a lock really does is keep an honest person out. If the really want the car, they will flatbed it to the chop-shop

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I agree about the unlocked doors. I NEVER lock the doors on any of mine. On my convertible I leave the top down. I just don't have anything valuable in my cars - nothing but the standard Ford radio.

Breaking a window or having the convertible top cut open would cost me a lot more than anything that a thief would steal from the inside.

I do use a brake locking device, though. I like it better than the "Club". Lots harder to defeat.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Familiar with the area, and those wheels, if that is the car, will be gone. A hood lock can be fashioned with a chain in a plastic sleeve, from the hood catch to an attachement in the front crossmember behind valance. Make it diffficult for bolt cutter access. Right on about leaving it unlocked and a trans lock. The reality is, if education is paramount, get a "normal routine car", swallow some humble pie, and use that! Loss of hood scoop on a 2001, for example, is standard fare in campus parking lots. Few guys in our club are grads of FIU. Miami-Dade is just another metropolitan area with crimes of opportunity prevailing. A 1966 Mustang in great cond. is at some risk. Check with your insurance co. for possible coverage restrictions. If not, they could well deny any claims.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is a 4speed and yes, the car in the pic is the one I plan on taking. The more I talk to people over there it's looking like it will behove me just to bite the bullet and take the porsche over there. I will be getting a new car around my bday in the middle of feb and since I will be living on campus with a bunch of friends who have cars I guess it's not the biggest of deals to go without one for a month or two. I talked to my insurance company and with the current photos they have on file they say that they will raise my rates if she will be driven in the miami-dade area which I dont like at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts