Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History: Bought Coppertone in 1998 from kid and dad who didn't want to do all the work necessary to get the old vert back in shape. They had recently purchased the car from a couple who owned it for 20 years.

So last night, I decide to call Dr. Harvey Smith DDS, and tell him about his old Mustang and what I've done to it. He's in Atlanta, and I'll be passing through on my way to Charlotte next week. We made plans to meet for lunch and have a looksee. Seems they bought the car in early 80s for his wife to drive to her tennis lessons. They took very good care of the car mechanically, and I have a file full of receipts to prove it. Anyway, it was nice to speak to them, and can't wait to meet them and learn even more about Coppertone's previous life.

Anyone else done something like this?

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I would love to be able to find my PO. That was 27 years ago though. I'm sure they tell people all the time that they use to own a 67 mustang. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Cool...I'm in Atlanta. When are you passing thru? I'm leaving later Friday for Charlotte...will put the '67 in the show Saturday morning...

Mike

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll be in town before noon on Thursday, and then caravaning with the VMF famous Art from there. Staying at the Hilton.

See you there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I traded my old convertible for my current fastback & the 'vert was then exported to Australia. I received a letter from the new owner shortly after they purchased it asking a bit of the history. I hope to go down under sometime soon & plan on looking up the new owner to see what they've done with it.

As for the PO of my fastback, I don't think I'll seek them out. (If you can't say anything nice .... ) lol

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Most folks want to meet the PO to strangle them, lol

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
As far as I can determine, the original owner of Shari was an old lady from... not Pasadena, but LA. About 2 miles from Midway Ford, where she was purchased. I have no real beef with her.

Now, her "mechanic", that's the throat I'd like to get my hands around....

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
That will be fun for you in a few ways:
1. You'll be able to show off coppertone in primo form
2. You'll be able to learn a little more about her previous life...

And you can make the POs suffer from a bad case of seller's remorse...hehe have fun ! Dickson

·
Registered
607 Posts
When I took my Mach back for the original owners to see, they both cried like babies. They could not beleive what I had done to get it back to the factory look. They said it looked as good as the day they picked up from the dealership. Brought back all their memories. Daryl

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,336 Posts
I bought my car 2 years ago. It was a complete stocker. Next weekend I'll be racing with the PO! He hasn't seen the car since I drove it away 2 years ago!

Boy he's in for a suprise!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've sent progress report pictures to the car's PO during the restoration process, but haven't contacted him for a while. I've sent pictures of the finished car to the original owner and the salesman who sold it (and still works at the dealership). That salesman is trying to locate one of the old dealership stick-on tags for me, too!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'd love to talk to the original owner of my fastback, and get a couple pictures of it when it was still its original '67 Beige Mist (it was white when it changed hands to me). It must've been a real looker with parchment and palomino interior!

Unfortunately, the one previous owner died before I got the car. It was purchased at the estate sale by a friend, then I convinced him to sell it to me before he had a chance to register it. I'm the second registered owner.

I have receipts going back to 1968; and haven't found very many hidden shade-tree repair jobs yet. I was very fortunate to find this car, and it makes for an excellent keepsake from the 4 years I lived in San Francisco!

G

·
0 Posts
ooh man, if I ever meet the po of my car... It was some stupid kid who got his car impounded from running away from the cops. Other than that I have no idea of the history. I guess it's in pretty good shape, all things considering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts