Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific cover for original style gas tanks that should be used on 67 FB. I don't think the top of the tank should be the floor of the trunk....
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Is there a specific cover for original style gas tanks that should be used on 67 FB. I don't think the top of the tank should be the floor of the trunk....
Thanks
If you mean as far as restoration goes, then yes the top of the gas tank is the trunk floor, there is a small piece of insulation or sound deadener and then the factory trunk mat, but of course you can add tank armor or something similar if you are just concerned about the fact that the top of the tank is in fact the trunk floor.

·
Just some guy
20,230 Posts
It is kind of an odd thing to do if you think about it. But doesn't hold a candle to some of the old pickup trucks. For some reason a lot of them had the gas tank hanging on the back wall of the cab right behind the seat cushion. How was THAT ever a good idea?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks
Too bad, so sad...it IS the trunk floor. I don't understand why people get so worked up over this fact...its really not a big deal. Vintage mustangs involved in rear end collisions do not have a reputation for spewing gas around...though it has happened in rare situations....modern Teslas have much more of a reputation for catching on fire when involved in accidents(no surprise there...EVs tend to be more flammable)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well versed on the pickup gas tanks. Better yet, high school had a riding around in a 66 Dodge Panel with fuel coming from a 5 gallon can with a hose draped in it. It sat against the back door LOL. How did we live through that?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Extra metal.

I just don't think adding a piece of metal not specifically engineered to crumple in the right direction upon impact is that good of an idea. Like already mentioned, Kelly got hit HARD and no problems with gas or fire (anyone ever seen a burned mustang in a junkyard?).Mine is 55 years old, 400,000+ miles since 1990 and I put my 22 gal tank in back in 1992. We refused putting in these panes at my shop due to potential liability issues. If it was hit and there was a fire or other damage, who is to prove the added metal did or did not contribute to the problems?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts