Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting the Tankarmor Fuel Tank cover in my 66 coupe. Took about an hour and a half with my son's help (made him get under the car! I know, but I'm gettin' old and he's young!) Feel much better now knowing that SWMBO and I are a little safer in case of a rearend accident. So now I have the Tankarmor, 3 point harnesses and headrests. Very soon I'll convert the power brakes over to MustangSteve's dual reservoir power brake system. Got to get busy and put the harnesses, headrests and Tankarmor in the 67 convertible when it gets back from the upholstery shop (getting a new top with rear glass curtain). Hope to have both ready for a local show in Slidell, Lousiana on the 20-22 of this month.

As for the Tankaromor, I recommend it highly. It's very simple to install, and I believe it will offer a great deal of protection for the gas tank. If it wasn't quite so expensive, but isn't that the case with everything in this hobby?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oscar,

I have a '67 vert also and am interest in this "Tank Armor" for the fuel tank. Can you list an internet site that I can look at it and read about it.

Thanks,

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds great. Tank Armor in just a few hours. GT1967T has a good question. Where is a good place to get Tank Armor? I have a 67 FB and would love to out that on my To Do list.
Thanks! Good luck at the show!

Nate
1967 (Red) Fastback GTA
289, Holly carb, Edelbrock Heads and Cam,
Offy Intake, various other parts here and there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Check it out at Tank Armor

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Milford, NH
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues

·
7,102 Posts
Sorry to be a kill joy here, but couldn't I just have my sheetmetal shop cut a flat piece of steel and seal it with some permagasket? I'm sorry, but I don't see this being worth the asking price.

Regarding the filler neck, which "Tank Armor" doesn't do diddly for. You could probably protect it with a sleeve of some kind...however, the failure mode everyone is worried about is the tank imploding and rupturing and gas getting shot towards the or into the passenger compartment. I haven't looked at any failed tanks, but I assume this occurs at the front tank seam. The filler neck is above the level of the tank which would make it less of a threat...although still a threat.

Fuel cells are great for a race car, but I'd be concerned about getting fuel in my trunk during fill up, without a filler hose.

To Tank Armor's credit, I've held the opinion for some time that the place to stop the gas is at the trunk floor and not at the back of the rear seat. Just seems way too pricey for what it is. Maybe if he came up with Tank Armor II that addressed the filler issue...then I'd get excited about adding this to my car.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
If you have the metal fabricating skills, tools, time and patience, perhaps it's not worth the $150 odd bucks for the TankArmor. Personally, I'm going to buy one for simplicity and piece of mind.
As for the filler neck being the weak link, I can't believe that TankArmor did not address this problem.

I plan to cap the tank inside the trunk, or at least have a metal to metal connection welded between the tank and filler neck instead of just a rubber hose. Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I looked at the Tank Armor Web site. They use a metal sleeve instead of the rubber one on the filler neck to address this issue.

I've said it before and I will say it again... there is absolutely no need for this type of product in a convertible. If you don't know why I say this than you have obviously NEVER taken your back seat out or looked in your trunk very well. Put the money in a nice new tank and leave it at that.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've spent quite a bit of time looking at my convertible trunk, and interior, and fuel tank, ad nauseam. I don't see your point. With the tankarmor product, the tank is literally blocked off from the interior of the car, with the exception of the small opening for the filler neck. With the seat blank filler, I see your point, since the well liner would still be open to the interior. As I see it, the tankarmor provides a blocking panel that also strengthens the rear structure of the car and puts an 11 gauge steel plate between the tank and anything that is in the trunk or that gets thrown in the trunk. For me, that means peace of mind, whether in a coupe, a convertible or a fastback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts