Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. This is probably lazy of me but will the 5-bolt rims off of an '80s Taurus fit on my '69 Mustang? I'm not interested in them as road wheels, just as wheels while my car is still in project status :) The guy selling them claims they fit his Thunderbird so to me that means they oughta fit my car too.

Many thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They should, i dont see any reason why they wouldnt.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
NO, they will NOT fit. Tauri and late-model T-birds have a 5 on 4.25" bolt spacing. Vintage mustangs have 5 on 4.5".

These would have a LOT of backspacing also - may cause clearance issues with control arms and leaf springs.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
THe plural of Taurus is Taurus... BUT if you did wanna do the "Taurii" thing, you could, but there'd need to be two letter "i" in there. ;)

The back spacing might work JUST to have some wheels on it, but as Bob said, they probably would interfere with stuff...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
You were so caught up in correcting my spelling, that you missed the whole point - the BOLT SPACING IS WRONG! They won't bolt on...

BTW, on the now-defunct Taurus SHO board I belonged to, they were referred to as Tauri, with one "I"... :: I had a 94 SHO... But, then again, who really cares if it's Taurus, Taurii, or Tauri anyway???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably right about the backspacing woes; I tried some jeep rims on it for the same reason and they really interfered with the control arms. I made money on those though, so it worked out alright for me! ::

So what's the verdict on the bolt circle, then? 4.5 or 4.25? I thought most american FWD cars used a 4.5 in circle but nobody uses those rims because of the backspacing. Like I say, it's just something cheap to throw some old tires on and push around the yard but I'm definitely going to need to be able to turn full lock to get the beast of the nook I've crammed it into.

Thanks for the replies all! It sounds to me like it's best to pass on this idea.

Greg

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Didn't know there was a "verdict" required... :)

I REPEAT - "NO, they will NOT fit. Tauri(/Taurii/Taurus/Tauruses) and late-model T-birds have a 5 on 4.25" bolt spacing. Vintage mustangs have 5 on 4.5".".

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
perfect...thanks again for the info! (seemed like there were a couple of opinions on the bolt circle but it looks like I was wrong)

Greg

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
94 SHO? those are nice. I had an 89 with the basket wheels. It had the blend door issue, and also ripped up leather, and all those other SHO quirks.

Which board was it? topica has a SHO mailling list, can be found at www.shotimes.com

and there is also www.shoclub.com

I want another SHO, even if it does become a repair disaster, they are fun cars to play in.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
damnit cloonie, you just blew my whole idea of adapting late model thunderbird brakes to the mustang. you're killin me here.
On a serious note, I'm glad someone said something otherwise i would have gone and bought the stuff and been none the wiser til it didn't fit

- Jason

·
Registered
215 Posts
As GT350Clone said, the wheels will not fit. The back-spcaing, as well as the bolt pattern are incorrect. Most of the late-model cars are using "metric" wheels now, and, although you would have to do some minor mathematical computations, it is possible to find a wheel that will fit. An easier method would be to run down to a local salvage yard and pick up a set of steel wheels from an older Ford or Dodge. The wheels, at least around here, are typically about $15-$25 a piece, unless going for an aluminum, or custom style wheel. The bolt pattern on the Ford and Dodge wheels is the same, the difference being that the Dodge used a bigger center cup (2 1/4" vs. Ford's 2 1/8", I believe...the measurements may be incorrect, but the center-cup on the Dodge is bigger.) I know that, if you put a Dodge wheel on a Ford, it will fit, but if you put a Ford wheel on a Dodge, you are in a whole world of hurt; the wheel WILL get stuck, and be a total pain in the @$$ to get off!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for adding to the info; much appreciated.

You're right; if I were serious about getting some wheels on the car, I'd just head over to "Pick yer Part" here. The guy with the Taurus had some nice sounding rims and 20 lugnuts for $80 Can( about $50 US) which is why I was interested.

I checked out the bolt circle on modern Ford RWD cars and many of them, like the Mustang, use the 114.3mm bolt circle which is 4.5in; that metric/imperial calculator of mine finally came in handy! :)

To be sure, I'd make a template first, of course. I really like the look of those 16in mesh alloys that Ford used on the Crown Vics for awhile. I think they might look pretty good on my '69 but I haven't checked out the backspacing yet.

Thanks all,

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts