Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently building a 68 Fastback with a 427 FE. I have installed the TCI Coilover front suspension and am now looking to which header to use. My engine has Edelbrock heads part number 60069. I also have a canton rear sump oil pan number 15-874 which has extensions to each side for road racing. I am using March serpentine pulleys so I believe that my power steering pump will not be a problem. My concerns are 1. the fitment in the rack and pinion steering shaft area. 2. also at the motor mounts (I have the TCI FE motor mounts) 3. The only other problem that I forsee might be clearance for the canton oil pan. It has extensions at the side for extra capacity instead of hanging straight down.
I have searched the internet and asked this question before. The only reply that I get is that any mustang specific header should fit. I cannot believe that I am the only one that is doing this setup. If anyone has experience with an actual installation like this, please help. JBA Stainless would be nice if they fit. My next thought is FPA.
When I complete this installation, I will gladly share every detail.

Thanks for any help. The first pics of my build are here:
1968 Shelby GT500

·
Vendor
461 Posts
I am currently building a 68 Fastback with a 427 FE. I have installed the TCI Coilover front suspension and am now looking to which header to use. My engine has Edelbrock heads part number 60069. I also have a canton rear sump oil pan number 15-874 which has extensions to each side for road racing. I am using March serpentine pulleys so I believe that my power steering pump will not be a problem. My concerns are 1. the fitment in the rack and pinion steering shaft area. 2. also at the motor mounts (I have the TCI FE motor mounts) 3. The only other problem that I forsee might be clearance for the canton oil pan. It has extensions at the side for extra capacity instead of hanging straight down.
I have searched the internet and asked this question before. The only reply that I get is that any mustang specific header should fit. I cannot believe that I am the only one that is doing this setup. If anyone has experience with an actual installation like this, please help. JBA Stainless would be nice if they fit. My next thought is FPA.
When I complete this installation, I will gladly share every detail.

Thanks for any help. The first pics of my build are here:
1968 Shelby GT500

We have had quite a few customers use headers designed to fit the fox chassis(regardless of engine type) with no problems.

-J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sanderson Shorty Headers and TCI Coil Over

After looking all over the internet and asking anyone that I could think of, I took a chance and ordered a set of Sanderson shorty headers for a stock 1968 Mustang with an FE. The headers passed the trial fit fairly well. I did have to grind some off the motor mount ears on the front crossmember on the driver side. It doesn't look liked it weakened it enough to worry about. The collector on the left side just barely missed the shaft from the column to the rack and pinion. All in all I am satisfied and will now send the headers to the coating shop. If you are researching your installation of a similar combination and the grinding doesn't bother you then I would say go for it.
Pictures can be seen here:

1968 Shelby GT500

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the standard suspension with TCI FE engine mounts. We had to space the engine up slightly in order to clear the power steering r&p. Upon initial installation we did not notice that the Canton oil pan had no extra clearance. Maybe it sagged as this has been a two year build so far. I have read about other installs moving the engine forward, if I had moved the engine forward then I would not have had enough room for the Champion 4 core aluminum radiator/shroud/fan assembly. if I can help anyone, I would be glad to share any of my build info.... My car started as a true 1968 Shelby GT500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts