Suspension:
Total Cost Involved Custom Independent Front Suspension
Total Cost Involved Torque Arm Rear Suspension

Engine:
427" (351W) built by Smeding Performance
570HP & 580TQ
Zoops "Posi-Trac" front accessory drive system
Holley fuel system
Derale cooling fans(power steering & oil)
Canton Accu-Sump
US Radiator cross flow
Magnaflow exhaust
K&N filter

Tranny:
T56 Magnum from Modern Driveline

Clutch:
McLeod RST dual disc
SFI scatter shield
Hydraulic T/O bearing

Rear axle:
Currie 9" Hot Rod housing(round back)
35 spline axles
56.5" width(A/F to A/F)
3.89 axle ratio
Platinum-Trac posi

Brakes:
Wilwood front & rear
14" Front(6 piston) & Back (4 piston)

Tires:
Toyo R888's or Falken 615K's depending on venue

Wheels:
Billet Specialties Lemans 18x10(5.75" B/S) Front & 18x12(5.25" B/S) Rear

Additional suppliers:
Redline Synthetic lubricants
Inland powder coating
Lokar
Inland EmprieDriveline
Kicker
JME Enterprises
Ididit
Borgeson
EMJ Metals
Autometer
Vintage Air
Ricks Stainless
MSD Ignition
Pomona Valley Customs(PVC)
Danny's Paint Shop
Atlas Polishing

Before we tore the car apart we took it out to Fontana for some baseline numbers.

Stock engine compartment

We stripped the car, installed our front crossmember and sent her off to get the underbelly painted.

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any updates?

The guys have been updating a bunch of existing products and designing some new stuff(unrelated to the Mustang) so progress has slowed.

We received a new hood the other day with a small cowl, I wanna say 2.5" tall. The sheet metal work is very time consuming plus they ended up making a new driver's side fender because it wasn't quite perfect enough(LOL). The engine is out right now getting an external oil pump(not dry sump) fitted. I am very excited to see the front valence come together but that may be another month or so until completion.

-J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where are the strut tower/firewall braces from?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you post some more detailed pictures of how you tied the 'A' pillar into the front of the frame? It looks like you went straight down after the window/door point, and then back up to??? I would like to see how you tied everything in, including the 'cowl bar' with the tubes and heims supporting the engine bay.
Also why a solid 'B' pillar as opposed to a solid 'A' pillar with a top bar to receive an 'X' and crossbars to receive the shoulder harness. Easier packaging? Easier to line the 'A' pillar with the front frame rail?
Why a bolt in cage opposed to weld in? I can see why the 'feet' of the cage are essential, but why bolt in? Ease of instalation?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to cars and unibodys, but have built a few rock crawlers/tube buggys. Myself and my brother in law are building something similar, but in the '65 coupe flavor. Thanks for the help.

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Can you post some more detailed pictures of how you tied the 'A' pillar into the front of the frame? It looks like you went straight down after the window/door point, and then back up to??? I would like to see how you tied everything in, including the 'cowl bar' with the tubes and heims supporting the engine bay.
Also why a solid 'B' pillar as opposed to a solid 'A' pillar with a top bar to receive an 'X' and crossbars to receive the shoulder harness. Easier packaging? Easier to line the 'A' pillar with the front frame rail?
Why a bolt in cage opposed to weld in? I can see why the 'feet' of the cage are essential, but why bolt in? Ease of instalation?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to cars and unibodys, but have built a few rock crawlers/tube buggys. Myself and my brother in law are building something similar, but in the '65 coupe flavor. Thanks for the help.

The cage isn't tied to the Monte Carlo bar attachments at the firewall.

Packaging played a major roll in the design. I think Ed wanted a single leg cage simply for looks rather than an "X". I asked the R&D guys about it and they weren't 100% certain the current design would not be added to down the road.

Ed plans on having Ron Mangus do the interior so he didn't want to be welding anywhere near the headliner. The cage will be removed and powdercoated as well. Nice hardware will replace the random zinc in the pics.

I snapped a few pics to show more detail.

Door bar connecting to "A" bar

Under floor plate for "A" bar

Overview of the roof bars from the passenger side

A Couple shots of the "B" bar from different angles

Under floor plate for the "B" bar

The down bars will eventually connect to the coilover crossmember here so you won't see a reinforcement plate underneath.

-J

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
R&D has finished up some of their projects for the retail side of things so they started giving the Mustang some attention recently. Nothing major to report but I am excited to finally see some progress on the front valence.

a pair of coolers mounted
brake duct enclosures have begun( I am real curious to see how they incorporate the anti-sway bar)

The coolers were just a little bit too wide for the space so we had to improvise.

-J

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A couple small updates. We are still plugging away at all the sheetmetal work. The front valence is finally all one piece. The trunk is starting to get buttoned up now. They are also working on the seat brackets.

Small extensions welded to the subframe for the seat brackets.

Flat plates inside the car for the seats/brackets

Battery tray

-J

1 - 20 of 123 Posts