Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
What are the pros and cons to a dropped spindle? Mine came with dropped but I am thinking I would rather have stock since my wheel wells are not modified and I want wide tires. Any suggestions before I put them on?

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What are the pros and cons to a dropped spindle? Mine came with dropped but I am thinking I would rather have stock since my wheel wells are not modified and I want wide tires. Any suggestions before I put them on?
How wide are we talking? Do you plan to Autocross? What size rear tires are you going to run?

The dropped spindles will set the car down pretty far, looks great but will certainly limit tire size.

-J

·
Registered
36 Posts
Street driven only, in its former life it had g60 14 in front on 7" rims and n50 14 on 8" rims. I just ordered the TCI 4 link for the rear and would like the stock height with a slight rake. Not sure what tires and rims I will use for sure. The Shelby conversion and paint job is flawless and I can't wait to finish it. Would it be a big deal to exchange the spindles?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dropped spindle - I think is a cool look.
It does sit lower that I thought I would like - but either Im used to it now, or it looks better than I thought. Either way it looks cool and I dont have any rubbing or performance issues driving normal or under hard braking & lock to lock turning.

Note: TCI
Issues: TCI front is Narrower than stock, it was several years ago when I went through it - I think they said it was narrowed by about 3-4 Inches total - maybe 1.5" - 2" per side, meaning the spindle is moved to the INSIDE by that distance.

I called TCI regarding ride height adjustability & they said maybe an inch or so up/down with the coilover . If I wanted it higher in the front to take the ball joint out of the lower control arm & put it back in from the other side, thus flipping the LCA up side down - also swapping LCA sides (right to left, left to right). I tried that when mocking up the car - see attached pics - brings it up to about OEM height

Wheels I used are Rocket Fuel 15 x 6, backspace 3.5". widest tire to fit is BFG Radial TA 205/60/15. any wider & it will rub a bit on the eng compartment during hard turns & braking. Clears Fenders.

I ran the Autocross at GoodGuys a few weeks ago. Handled GREAT! set up pretty much out of the box - adjusted the coil overs so the Lower Arms are parallel to the ground. Basic shock that came with the kit - no dampening adjustments or fine tuning.

Also attached some pics of final ride height -

Attachments

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Street driven only, in its former life it had g60 14 in front on 7" rims and n50 14 on 8" rims. I just ordered the TCI 4 link for the rear and would like the stock height with a slight rake. Not sure what tires and rims I will use for sure. The Shelby conversion and paint job is flawless and I can't wait to finish it. Would it be a big deal to exchange the spindles?
I agree, the stock spindle would be best suited for your needs. Won't be a problem at all to swap them out if need be. Demonizer brings up a good point about swapping the lower ball joint and switching sides. This is what we used to do before we offered the stock height spindles.

Dropped spindle - I think is a cool look.
It does sit lower that I thought I would like - but either Im used to it now, or it looks better than I thought. Either way it looks cool and I dont have any rubbing or performance issues driving normal or under hard braking & lock to lock turning.

Note: TCI
Issues: TCI front is Narrower than stock, it was several years ago when I went through it - I think they said it was narrowed by about 3-4 Inches total - maybe 1.5" - 2" per side, meaning the spindle is moved to the INSIDE by that distance.

I called TCI regarding ride height adjustability & they said maybe an inch or so up/down with the coilover . If I wanted it higher in the front to take the ball joint out of the lower control arm & put it back in from the other side, thus flipping the LCA up side down - also swapping LCA sides (right to left, left to right). I tried that when mocking up the car - see attached pics - brings it up to about OEM height

Wheels I used are Rocket Fuel 15 x 6, backspace 3.5". widest tire to fit is BFG Radial TA 205/60/15. any wider & it will rub a bit on the eng compartment during hard turns & braking. Clears Fenders.

I ran the Autocross at GoodGuys a few weeks ago. Handled GREAT! set up pretty much out of the box - adjusted the coil overs so the Lower Arms are parallel to the ground. Basic shock that came with the kit - no dampening adjustments or fine tuning.

Also attached some pics of final ride height -
If you have any pics of your car running the Autocross (or otherwise) make sure to send me some. [email protected]

-J

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Is there any downside to flipping the lower control arms? Here is a picture of my car on the hoist.

It will push the control arm down and out of its primary target range of motion which will adversely effect performance. We intend the lower control arm to be parallel to the ground at ride height. Doing this will put it at roughly a 7-10 degrees down angle.

-J

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So swapping spindles would be the smart move. What would I need to do this? Sorry to be a pain!
Craig

You have two options when changing to the stock spindles:

If you keep the GM calipers, you will need new caliper brackets and a shorter turn rack.

Upgrade to Wilwood calipers and bracket and keep the existing rack.

-J

·
Registered
36 Posts
What would I need to do and what will it cost to exchange for standard spindles and upgrade to Wilwood Calipers and brackets? I am guessing they would be Dynalite pro's?
That way I would keep the rack I have. It looks like the 4 link will be here on Tuesday so I should do this switch at the same time. Please advise.
Thanks
Craig

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What would I need to do and what will it cost to exchange for standard spindles and upgrade to Wilwood Calipers and brackets? I am guessing they would be Dynalite pro's?
That way I would keep the rack I have. It looks like the 4 link will be here on Tuesday so I should do this switch at the same time. Please advise.
Thanks
Craig

The spindle swap is no charge. The Wilwood upgrade is $400. The easiest way to do it is to just send back the whole spindle assembly as an exchange.

-J

·
Registered
36 Posts
What is the procedure for exchanging? I forgot how heavy those assemblies are! I just got the rear 4 link yesterday and have an issue. I had ordered the 9" version where you have to weld the lower link/shock brackets but the area where the leaf spring pads are measures the same as an 8" (it tapers down). This is a factory 9" out of a 67GT so I am guessing the online ordering format needs a 3rd choice. I notified Fab Quest last night via e mail but haven't heard back yet. Thanks again for your help. If you would prefer PM let me know.
Craig

·
Vendor
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What is the procedure for exchanging? I forgot how heavy those assemblies are! I just got the rear 4 link yesterday and have an issue. I had ordered the 9" version where you have to weld the lower link/shock brackets but the area where the leaf spring pads are measures the same as an 8" (it tapers down). This is a factory 9" out of a 67GT so I am guessing the online ordering format needs a 3rd choice. I notified Fab Quest last night via e mail but haven't heard back yet. Thanks again for your help. If you would prefer PM let me know.
Craig

When Dave from Fabquest gets back in contact with you he can set-up the spindle exchange as well.

All of our weld-on axle brackets have a 3" I/D. The sales option on Fabquest's site is looking for whether you need weld-on or bolt-on brackets. There is only those two options. In the case where you need a weld-on bracket and your tubes taper down you will need to sleeve the tube to compensate.

-J

21 - 34 of 34 Posts