Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting TCI (Total Cost Involved) front and rear coil over suspension and sub frame connectors for my Dynacorn 67 fastback. The car will have a 427 engine TKO600 trans. But I read about Heidts similar install removing shock towers welding in cross member a bit more money. Also looked into Total Control nice stuff but to much for me.

Whats your thoughts on TCI vs Heidts front and rear suspension?
Both American made.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,644 Posts
I don't personally care for swapping in a MII type front end, I much prefer to upgrade the stock setup. But I have looked at the MII stuff. Of all of them I would go with TCI. Their stuff looks better engineered and maybe a bit more suited to performance driving, at least compared to the other kits designed for cruising in a hot rod.
TC I like too, but out of my price range also. I went with a kind of mix of Opentracker stuff and Street or Track. Best value for the money I think.
Whether your engine is a "real" 427 or stroked 351W, I guess you know either will fit a '67 without butchering the shock towers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is being discussed in the modded forum.

I'm with GypsyR on the front end. I've got a mix of Global West and Street or Track up front. Nothing wrong with the original SLA concept unless you want to remove the shock towers.

You should decide whether leafs, a 4 link or a torque arm suspension better suites your needs. Any of these designs will have pro's and con's.

I have the TCI torque arm and love it. It was right for ME.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,241 Posts
I have TCI front coilover conversion system, TCI manual rack and TCI subframe connectors. I have nothing but good things to say about TCI. Their coilover front end is a very good design, excellent quality, its easy to adjust, allows for adjusting the ride height, dampening, and there are choices of spring rates with good travel. My 1970 351W based FPA 1 3/4 long tube headers fit well with the rack.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't personally care for swapping in a MII type front end, I much prefer to upgrade the stock setup. But I have looked at the MII stuff. Of all of them I would go with TCI. Their stuff looks better engineered and maybe a bit more suited to performance driving, at least compared to the other kits designed for cruising in a hot rod.
TC I like too, but out of my price range also. I went with a kind of mix of Opentracker stuff and Street or Track. Best value for the money I think.
Whether your engine is a "real" 427 or stroked 351W, I guess you know either will fit a '67 without butchering the shock towers.
I tend to agree that the MII style of suspension has horrible geometry that was made for a Mustang II. The MII suspensions go into positive camber in very little travel. These are street rod suspensions and not performance suspensions at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are no Mustang II parts in the TCI IFS kit. It uses TCI's own Custom IFS spindle with a 11" drilled and slotted rotor and Big Bore cast iron calipers. It uses a 85 T-bird power rack. It has better geometry for increased camber gain during hard cornering.
Tim

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have the CPP front suspension on my 65. My wife's 66 Convertible has the Heidt's front end. My 67 has the TCI front and rear suspension. I do not drive these cars on a race track as they are mostly for "vigorious" street driving. Of the three the TCI is the best engineered, and offers performance handling. I do plan to auto cross the 67 in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts